Corsair Community

Ideas for new H100 revision

eveleenbr

Hi,

first I want to congratulate you by your excellent product H100.

However, I think it can be sightly improved in this way:

1. The copper contact with the CPU should be more polished. Ideally, it should be nearly a perfect mirror. Pls, polish it more ( almost with a 2000 grains sandpaper ).

I'm currently lapping it using a 2000-grains sandpaper as I did with my CPU's IHS. I dropped my temps 5C.

2. Pls, include 4 fans by default.

3. Add more long screws for the people who want to replace the default fans. I would say almost 20 screws ( enough for 4 fans + some extra in case of lost ).

4. Place the fan's connectors in the front of the pump, not in the sides. That is, close to the speed control button. It's hard sometimes to plug the fan connectors because you hit the RAM or the VRM's hatsinks.

An image:

http://i48.tinypic.com/1570o69.jpg

5. That's not an idea for a revision of the H100 but for the H120: triple radiator pls :biggrin:

6. Make the tubes wider so they can use more water and a more powerful pump.

thx.

Just my observations on items 2, 3, and 4. Only a small portion of the computing world can use 4 fans in push/pull with an H100. It makes more sense to sell the unit with 2 fans and make extra fans available for sale. Otherwise, most people that buy the H100 would be forced to pay for 2 fans they don't want. That cost would force some not to buy the H100 at all.

And, not many cases can accomodate a triple rad. This would greatly reduce the number of people who would even buy an H100 because it won't fit into most cases.

As for more screws, they are readily available almost anywhere in the world. Including them to accomodate a tiny amount of people will drive the price up for the majority of people that do not need them. It is in the best interest of the majority of people to not include these screws and raise the price of the H100.

Only a small portion of the computing world can use 4 fans in push/pull with an H100. It makes more sense to sell the unit with 2 fans and make extra fans available for sale.

I see you already sell a kit with 2 extra fans.. .the problem is that, almost in my country, it's almost impossible to get that kit in the local shops. I could buy it directly at corsair.com but I'm afraid the send cost + import taxes will be as much as a new H100.

Otherwise, most people that buy the H100 would be forced to pay for 2 fans they don't want. That cost would force some not to buy the H100 at all.

If I can spend 90€ for an H100 y could spend 100€. It's still cheaper than a complete water kit :D: and, even if I would not use the 2 extra fans, I could use them to replace the other fans if they break or to use it in my ATX case.

And, not many cases can accomodate a triple rad. This would greatly reduce the number of people who would even buy an H100 because it won't fit into most cases.

Yep, well... that was really not a suggestion for the H100's rev2 but for an hypothetic H120.

As for more screws, they are readily available almost anywhere in the world.

Yep, I could buy some screws it in a shop like FerroKey or Leroy Merlin but, then, I should cut them perfectly in order to avoid damaging the radiator and to avoid vibrations's noise.

Anyways, I lost two screws when I installed my H100... so to add two extra screws will avoid things like that. About the price, how much can cost 8 screws? 2$? The H100 is a top product of a line, so people who buy it won't mind to pay just a bit more to get more quality. After all, some companies are copy-catting your H100 and quality is what will make the difference.

4. Place the fan's connectors in the front of the pump, not in the sides. That is, close to the speed control button. It's hard sometimes to plug the fan connectors because you hit the RAM or the VRM's hatsinks.

An image:

http://i48.tinypic.com/1570o69.jpg

I am curious as to this request and would like to ask a couple questions about it. The current design itself leaned more towards a clean look once installed versus the usability of plugging/unplugging fans. The thought process was that you would only install fans once/twice but with a windowed case look at it all the time. If pigtails were used coming off the block that could be routed to the back of the motherboard or somewhere else out of the way for fan connections to be made would that be easier to use that connectors on the unit itself?

You could use three pin fan extension cables connected to the fan controller now if you wanted to hide the fan cables/connectors.

My suggestion, go to PWM fans and forget the fan controller.

I know, how do you connect four PWM fans to one PWM fan header. Quad splitter, of course (!). Plus the new Corsair fans at less than 0.20A draw, could be accommodated on one PWM header. I know, no PWM model... yet. Then put user defined PWM fan profiles in the Corsair Link kit.

Just some ideas.

I second the proposal on moving the fan controller header. As a AMD user the the pump mounting screws obstructs plugging fans easily. If you notice :pics: I have posted where even the pump cable exits next to the mounting screws.

I agree with Yellowbeard on 2 addtional fans and thicker rad

Parsec rightly points out about the PWM fans,ultra quiet and super efficient fans like scythe gentle typhoon and something better

Putting thicker tubes may not work as pressure is inversely proportional to tube diameter given we have the same pump;by the way does anyone know what pressure does pump develop.;)::dunno:

The ideas are actually pretty good

They might also want to improve the unit itself (for both H80 and H100)

The main problem with the pomp seems to be the noise it makes in some cases ...

I know that people actually stop the noise by using a fan controller to lower the voltage that goes to the unit ... so some over voltage protection might not be a bad idea for a Mk2 version of the units (or use a pomp that will still run properly on higher voltages)

The idea of putting the fan connectors somewhere else is brilliant however the best place to put the fan connectors would actually be on the radiator witch also makes cable management a lot easier since they could also put small zip ties holes on the sides of the radiator bower cables can run along side the tubing for this

About the screws that are included ... they are actually to long and will penetrate the radiator witch seems to be a part of it witch is not used

However I would advice to remove parts of the radiator behind the screw holes so people will know that there wound be a problem if screws are to long

I Actually like the 360 Radiator Idea since I have a 800D and I think a lot of people would agree on this

There are still more company's that make a case that will fit a triple 120mm Radiator

So it would be a good idea to start designing one for the near future

Nowadays I also See Lots of Cases with 140mm Fan Mounts so that wouldn't be a bad idea ether

I hope the new models use a non-conductive coolant just in case. Seems the possibility of a leak over a 5year period is at least moderately reasonable. The H100s came out what last June? July? So none have even been in the field for even a year yet, makes ya wonder. Hope they don't all start bursting open all at once.

This thread contains many reasonable improvements, just shows how much people enjoy this product and how popular it really is.

Hope Corsair always maintains a similar sku at the $99.00 price point.

But if they decide to take an “Obsidian Series” approach and offer a vastly more efficient model, larger diameter non-kink tubing (that stuff is expensive), thicker radiator like a 40mm or higher, even if it sells at $150, I would say, Corsair take my money!

The high quality single water loop kits seem to start at around the $279.00 range with fluid over $300, so Corsair has a great deal of shoulder room between $119 msrp and $279. I hope they fill that market segment fully.

H120 $129

H150 $149

And so on…

…and a triple rad 360 for those who have the chassis space.

Just wishful thinking.:roll:

you forgot to improve the molex connector quality on the h100 as it is horrible/flimsy and it difficult to connect even in my corsair hx850 molex...

It might be smarter to include 2 x 3 Pin Fan headers and a Molex to 3 pin fan adapter

Maybe even one a 4 pin Fan header for the Main-board to provide the H100 with information from the board and some extra power for the fan controller

Since the board might tell the H100 it's running hot the fan controller will be able to compensate for that a lot easier

It will also help to notice if there is bad mounting of the H100

This thread contains many reasonable improvements, just shows how much people enjoy this product and how popular it really is.

Hope Corsair always maintains a similar sku at the $99.00 price point.

But if they decide to take an “Obsidian Series” approach and offer a vastly more efficient model, larger diameter non-kink tubing (that stuff is expensive), thicker radiator like a 40mm or higher, even if it sells at $150, I would say, Corsair take my money!

The high quality single water loop kits seem to start at around the $279.00 range with fluid over $300, so Corsair has a great deal of shoulder room between $119 msrp and $279. I hope they fill that market segment fully.

H120 $129

H150 $149

And so on…

…and a triple rad 360 for those who have the chassis space.

Just wishful thinking.:roll:

well they could also go for a "Core" Edition of these ideas since most people who will buy a 360 rad might want there own choice of fans anyway

It might just be for the enthusiasts out there who do like the idea of water cooling but are afraid of the risks that come with building a custom water cooling loop in to there PC

It might be smarter to include 2 x 3 Pin Fan headers and a Molex to 3 pin fan adapter

Maybe even one a 4 pin Fan header for the Main-board to provide the H100 with information from the board and some extra power for the fan controller

Since the board might tell the H100 it's running hot the fan controller will be able to compensate for that a lot easier

It will also help to notice if there is bad mounting of the H100

well they could also go for a "Core" Edition of these ideas since most people who will buy a 360 rad might want there own choice of fans anyway

It might just be for the enthusiasts out there who do like the idea of water cooling but are afraid of the risks that come with building a custom water cooling loop in to there PC

Extremely good packaging concept, the “core" editions would save enthusiasts money, who plan pre-purchase to upgrade to more static efficient, and/or quieter fans. Best suggestion on this thread to date.

All they need to do is to revise to h100 with a thicker rad and a stronger pump, and fix the grinding a noises that occur with some of them and sell it for 150$ and make a 360 version also and they would be jumping off the selves...

All they need to do is to revise to h100 with a thicker rad and a stronger pump, and fix the grinding a noises that occur with some of them and sell it for 150$ and make a 360 version also and they would be jumping off the selves...

pump issue is now rectified it was the damn ceramic bearing

Hey Mike

I'd like to see the return of Corsair Nautilus Ver 2.0 OR Corsair Hydrocool EX200 i.e. EX300 - self contained case/chasis water cooling which can sit beside or on top of or even underneath the PC case :)

Maybe call it Corsair Hydro-Nautilus :D:

I still have Corsair Nautilus 500, Hydrocool EX200 and H50 units.

Looking at what I'd need H20 wise for cooling upcoming dual Xeon E5-2650 LGA2011 cpus :)

Was looking at H100 but read of the grinding noise so thought I'd pop on by.

Archived