Corsair Community

H80 fan control / fan revving up.

Ex3

New to the forums and new to many things after getting a new pc.

This one being an 'upgrade' of my 6-years old, dust gathering tin can.

Chit chat aside, here's an issue I seem to have with my H80.

When just surfing or playing a movie, everything's just fine. The problems begin once I start gaming, it takes a mere 5 minutes before the fans go full blast. Pretty damn noisy alright, but I can deal with it. It's connected to the CPU_Fan and I've disabled the 'cpu smart control' in my BIOS. Despite that, it still revs up and (here's the problem) when I'm done gaming it doesn't go back to the normal setting. It just keeps going full blast until I shut down the computer completely (longest I could manage was about an hour).

I tried to reset the firmware the following ways (according to what I foundhere on the forums):

- shut down PC

- hold button while starting start pc

- release after 3 seconds

and

-start pc, go to BIOS (or don't let pc boot to windows)

-hold button 'til it blinks

-release and restart

So far, no results. Also before and after, I don't notice a significant increase in sound between setting 1, 2 or 3 ( average waiting 15-20 second between each setting).

Any advice on what to do?

p.s. I'm not very techy and had a friend to most of the assembling/installing.

New to the forums and new to many things after getting a new pc.

This one being an 'upgrade' of my 6-years old, dust gathering tin can.

Chit chat aside, here's an issue I seem to have with my H80.

When just surfing or playing a movie, everything's just fine. The problems begin once I start gaming, it takes a mere 5 minutes before the fans go full blast. Pretty damn noisy alright, but I can deal with it. It's connected to the CPU_Fan and I've disabled the 'cpu smart control' in my BIOS. Despite that, it still revs up and (here's the problem) when I'm done gaming it doesn't go back to the normal setting. It just keeps going full blast until I shut down the computer completely (longest I could manage was about an hour).

I tried to reset the firmware the following ways (according to what I foundhere on the forums):

- shut down PC

- hold button while starting start pc

- release after 3 seconds

and

-start pc, go to BIOS (or don't let pc boot to windows)

-hold button 'til it blinks

-release and restart

So far, no results. Also before and after, I don't notice a significant increase in sound between setting 1, 2 or 3 ( average waiting 15-20 second between each setting).

Any advice on what to do?

p.s. I'm not very techy and had a friend to most of the assembling/installing.

Note: Bolding added by me

The fan-like header coming off of the H80 is only for reporting the rpm of the pump, which runs at a constant speed, so you should not see that change regardless of cpu temp.

The fans will ramp up when the cpu goes under load as it sounds like they are doing. You didn't indicate what profile you have selected but depending on which one you use, the fans will ramp up somewhat differently. See:

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/understanding-the-hydro-series-h80-and-h100-cooling-performance-profiles

Are you sure that the fans are not going back down? As I said, you can't judge by the reported speed as that is your pump and it is not supposed to change. The only way to tell is by ear (unfortunately).

... well, damn. Out of all the pages I've found and read, this one I apparently skipped. :/

I'm currently on the 'balanced' profile and the thing goes from 'soft humming' to 'vacuum cleaner' at a certain point.

Tomorrow (as it's getting late today (Europe)) I'm gonna check each and every profile and see whether or not it goes down after say... 15-20 minutes of not doing anything/letting the computer idle.

I'll post a report somtime tomorrow or later (depends on whether I find the time) so please don't lock the thread in case it's something else.

I truly hope this is just plain ignorance on my part in which case: thanks for edjucating little old me.

I'll post a report somtime tomorrow or later (depends on whether I find the time) so please don't lock the thread in case it's something else.

I truly hope this is just plain ignorance on my part in which case: thanks for edjucating little old me.

Take your time, threads do not get locked like that here

Archived