Corsair Community

SSD boots fast but slow logging into Windows

Hi Folks

I have an original Force 3 SSD which was replaced after many a blue screens and since getting the new drive its nice and stable.

My only concern is the time you type in your password until it actually logs in to windows seems very slow good 15-20 seconds.

Now the old drive it would just load in right away and there is nothing wrong with the boot times getting to the windows log in prompt is fast.

Does anyone have any ideas or has seen this issue before ? when I got this replacement drive this machine was also rebuilt from scratch and has done this since day1.

The only thing I can put this down to is either a messed up windows profile ? or changes in the SSD.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Matt

System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model Z68X-UD3R-B3

Total amount of system memory 12.0 GB RAM

System type 64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 4

Storage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 1742 GB

Disk partition (C:) 44 GB Free (112 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 336 GB Free (466 GB Total)

Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Disk partition (F:) 483 GB Free (699 GB Total)

Disk partition (G:) 70 MB Free (100 MB Total)

Disk partition (H:) 78 GB Free (466 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Total available graphics memory 4095 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 1536 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 2559 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.8562

Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024

DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Can you try disable all the startup services and programs. and see if it is still slow or it is faster.

Start Menu> type msconfig>Services> Tick "Hide all Microsoft Services"> Disable All>Startup tab>disable all.

Ok did that and if anything it was slower its not a problem booting and disabling service only aids on the boot, this is an issue with when you type in the password and hit enter until your in windows.

this was very different on previous SSD I would expect it to be a tad slow on a sata drive but an SSD should be right into windows in a split second.

as i said boot time is fine its quick the time you enter your password until you hit windows is longer then it was on the old drive, the old drive despite being faulty actually did this quicker.

so that's why I am wondering if this is some change in firmware but all write speeds and tests and health of the drive check out fine.

oh I DON'T know maybe I just being too fussy

• Corsair Employees

So after the install on Windows it does not display this symptom; it happens at some point later; is that what I am understanding? Please clarify as it is important.

If so do you have an idea when it starts to happen, for example after you finish installing your last driver or after a windows update has been completed?

Try to boot in safe mode . Is it still happening after typing the password?

I will also sfc /scannow (Command Prompt with Admin right) to see if problem exist.

When do you start having the problem ? Did it work right the first time you installed Windows & drivers ? If it is recent enough, you could try system restore to an older date before you have the problem and see if that fix it.

Archived