Corsair Community

HX1050 - Strong smell of warm plastic

Giordano86

I purchased my HX1050 in January and I recently reset my BIOS settings on my Maximus IV Extreme-Z and when it went to restart, the computer did 2-3 fast restarts which I've never seen. When it finally booted up, I noticed a new smell coming from the system that smells like really warm plastic. No burn smell, but the smell is really strong. I thought maybe it was my new video card, but after testing my new card with some benchmarks, I pinpointed that the smell was coming from my HX1050. I felt the PSU and it was really cool so I don't think it's overheating and all of my PC's components are really cool.

Do you guys think it's safe to still run? I did 3DMark11, Heaven DX11, AvP and Metro 2033 benchmarks, played SC2, WoW, BF3, Skyrim...etc, and it's still running fine but it still makes this strong smell that starts to upset your stomach if you smell it for too long.

I submitted a RMA, but there's no way I want to go without a PSU right before Diablo 3 comes out. Here's the case number 4634652. I'd appreciate any help to speed this process along.

• Corsair Employees
Your RMA was approved, if you want an advanced RMA you will need to call our customer service by phone and make that request. The number is listed under contact on the main site.

Thank you. I received the new HX1050 but now this one has a rather audible coil whine when under heavy GPU load that my previous one did not have. I tried disabling Speedsteep along with C1E, but it's still making the noise.

I wouldn't mind the noise so much if I was old, but having it be so high pitched gets really annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix it without RMAing? If not, would I have to pay again to have this brand new one sent back? Not sure if I can live with the noise, as I can hear it over my headphones and PC fans.

Archived