Corsair Community

Had big problems, now need new ram advice

I've got a set of 1GB Dual Channel Corsair PC3700 (ddr466) ram. I used to run it 1:1 at PC4000 (ddr500) with my p4 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.0ghz, with my 5900 Ultra and had no problems whatsoever. I've since got a p4 3.0ghz, and overclocked it to 3.5ghz, running 1:1 with my ram at PC3700. BUT I also have a 6800 Ultra, and I get artifacts in games. Today I un-overclocked my cpu, and hooray, byebye artifacts and hello increased performance (even tho I lost 500mhz cpu speed). The problem with the 6800U was not becaues of drivers, I tryed all 61.xx and 62.xx drivers. It's not a PSU problem, and it's not a intel driver chipset driver problem. And I even tryed underclocking my video card, and that didn't remove artifacts either, so I just run the video card non-overclocked too. I've tryed everything and the only thing that will let me use the 6800U in AGP mode without artifacts is not overclocking my cpu. My question is, should I keep my PC3700 even though I can't overclock (thanks to 6800U), with timings of 3-4-4-8. OR should I buy the new PC3200XL-PRO, which has timings of 2-2-2-5. I know the new memory has much lower latency timings, which is why I thought it would be much better for my system, as I can't overclock, but I'd like to know if anyone know's if there will really be much of a performance increase (in terms of gaming).? As if it is only 2-3% then I don't see the point of going through the hassle of selling and rebuying. Also: I'd finally be able to run my ABIT IS7 motherboard, with the so-called F1 memory setting, which is supposed to be awesome. I assume the PC3200XL can work with this setting, as it's made for fast memory.

IMO, you prolly would not see any HUGE difference with the XL. As to the F-1 mode, my XL won't do it in my IC-7 MAX3 but it will do Streetracer with 2,3,2,5 timings at a fsb of 225mhz. I have not tested much past that as I have a 3.4e Prescott that won't clock much farther (yet ;): ) Even at 225mhz it scores Sisoft Sandra scoresvery close to what my PC4000 does at 250mhz+. You would probably see some small improvement with the XL but I'd have to even guess if it would be noticeable to the naked eye. However, low latency RAM does do VERY well with games as it makes the many random reads much faster. So, your playback/display would likely smooth out a bit. Mike.

Archived