Corsair Community

Video flicks off & back on when O/Ced over 185FSB?

UPDATE: *********************************************** I finally hit 200MHz FSB. Mult: x11 at this point CPU at 1.575V. Mem timings 5-2-2-2 Absolutely NO video flicker either. It was a pretty easy fix. All I had to do was replace the old Rev. 1.04 mobo. It was just maxed out @ 185MHz. Now, with a new A7N8X-E Dlx mobo (w/BIOS 1011), the FSB walked right up to 200 w/o a prob. Gonna let it run at this speed a bit before I push it any further. ************************************************ When I up my FSB [b]over[/b] 185 the video will flick off for a second & then come back on. It does this at random intervals. It doesn't do it at the desktop, but will do it when browsing the forums. Odd thing is I can run Sandra & 3DMark2001 without the flicker. If I have a [b]bunch[/b] of stuff running (RantTV {in IE}, MediaPlayer, Zuma & browsing w/Mozilla), the video will freeze 1st, followed by the music, and game play becomes [i]very[/i] jerky - sometimes the system will freeze, forcing me to do a hard reset. I can run Sandra & 3CMark2001 @ 190x11 without video flicker, but it'll flicker when doing [i]anything[/i] else. I was working my way up to 200FSB (it would POST but wouldn't go into Windows using the 200Mhz BIOS option), but stopped here until I can get it stable. System details: A7N8X-Dlx rev. 1.04 - BIOS 1004 XP-Mobile 2400+ w/SLK-800 & Vantech Thermoflow using A/S Ceramique @ 1.65V (the mobo overvolts it to 1.68 tho') - default was 1.575V Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @ 2,2,2,5 (brand new) in dual channel mode - Vdimm @ 2.8V The video card is a ChainTech Ti4200 - nVidia driver 5,2,1,6 (dated 10/6/2003) It is stable @ 185x12 (and any other multi <13) Idle temp was 40c @ 1.575 & load was 45c Idle temp is 44c @ 1.65 & load is 49c The case is clean & well ventilated, ambient temp is ~73*F I replaced an old 2100+ Palomino with the XP-M a couple of weeks ago. I [i]was[/i] using 2x256 GeIL PC2700 (spd 2,2,2,5) memory & the max flicker free O/C was 176FSB even with [i]loose[/i] timings. I've tried upping the AGP voltage to the max available in BIOS, but that didn't help. Someone else suggested increasing the AGP aperture, but that didn't help either. Any suggestions? TIA! Angel

[quote name='Wired']Try 2.75v or 2.8v. Ever tested the OC of that chip?[/QUOTE] Sorry, the Vdimm [i]is[/i] set to 2.8 (the max). I edited the post to reflect the correct voltage. Don't really know the [b]best[/b] way to test the chip. That's why I bought the TwinX, thinking the GeIL PC2700 was limiting my o/c (that, and my daughter needed new RAM for her 'puter anyway - LOL!). I installed the XP-M and initially set it to 166FSB with a multi of 10 @ default Vcore. (This is with the GeIL PC2700. It's recognized spd @ 2,2,2,5) Bumped the multi up to 11 - no probs. Next, I moved up to 170 @ default Vcore - ran Sandra & 3DMark w/o probs. Followed by 175 @ 1.6V & retested - again no probs. Bumped FSB up to 180 @ 1.6V - 3DMark caused it to reboot, Sandra crashed to desktop. Upped Vcore to 1.675 (1.7 due to mobo overvolting), 3DMark crashed to desktop & Sandra ran no prob. Upped Vdimm to the max (2.8V) & AGP voltage to max also, Sandra & 3DMark both finished, but the video flicker appeared. At 185, the video would flicker at the desktop. Upped the CPU voltage again - no love. Backed down the FSB 1 point at a time until I hit 177, then only an occasional flick to black & back. At 175, I could back off on all the extra volts. Was able to up the mult to 12 w/o probs or extra voltage. I decided to buy some top of the line RAM - Corsair - the TwinX1024-3200XL to see if my RAM was the limiting factor. I don't know anybody here in this little podunk town who's really into hi-po machines that I could test/swap components with. That's when I hit my 'smooth operating' 185FSB limit. Don't know how far I should try upping the CPU voltage to see if I can get it stable. If that's even the problem!?! Suggestions? Thanx! Angel

I'm no OC expert, but I'd try LOWERING your CPU clock multiplier and trying for a higher FSB. [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=17626]Overclocking Your AMD Athlon XP[/URL] Check this article out by CandyKid, it has some great tips.

• 4 weeks later...
UPDATE: I finally hit 200MHz FSB. Mult: x11 at this point CPU at 1.575V. Mem timings 5-2-2-2 Absolutely [B]NO[/B] video flicker either. It was a pretty easy fix. All I had to do was replace the old Rev. 1.04 mobo. :eek: It was just maxed out @ 185MHz. :sigh!: Now, with a new A7N8X-E Dlx mobo (w/BIOS 1011), the FSB walked right up to 200 w/o a prob. :D: Gonna let it run at this speed a bit before I push it any further.

Archived