Corsair Community

CMX512-3200C2PT and TWINX1024-3200C2PT compatible?

Marvel

Recently I bought a stick of [URL=http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-420&depa=0]CMX512-3200C2PT from Newegg[/URL] to go along with my set of [URL=http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-450&depa=0]TWINX1024-3200C2PT[/URL] that are installed in my ASUS A7N8X-X MB. I have my twinX ram set to the appropriate Cas Latency and voltage. I have the TwinX ram in the #1 and #3 slots and the new stick of CMX512 in the #2 slot. I noticed during Battlefield 1942 game-play that my system would kick me out of the game and thought nothing of it. Until a recent CD-Burn my Computer locked up. I'm not OC'ing my ram or CPU. I have a Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with a 650Watt PS. I ran the Memtest and found no errors with either of the ram sticks in slot 1 but when I ran a Memtest with the ram in the configuration noted above I got 5 and 4 errors. The TwinX is a Version 1.2 and the CMX512 is a Version 1.3. My question is are these compatible together?

Roger, I see the problem I'm probably headed with this: My settings are as follows: TWINX1024-3200C2 Data Sheet TWINX512-3200C2 Data Sheet Motherboard make and model: Asus A7N8X and/or Asus P4C800/-E and/or Abit IC7. Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings: DRAM Clock: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (2.5 on AMD platform) SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank All other settings are motherboard defaults. Which would conflict with the CMX512 settings: CMX512-3200C2 Data Sheet CMX256A-3200C2 Data Sheet Motherboard make and model: EPoX EP-8K3A and/or Asus P4S533 and/or EPoX EP-8K5A, and/or Asus A7N8X. DRAM Clock: 200 MHz DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 (2.5 on AMD platform) Command Rate: 1T All other settings are motherboard defaults. So I'm basically stuck with this CMX512 even though Newegg posted the Cas Latency: as 2-3-3-6 1T, which on their site its the same for the CMX512 and the TwinX. Any ideas? So basically you have to order another set of TwinX to complete compatiablity?

If I read all of your post correctly, yes you are limited by several factors. I would suggest manually setting the RAM timings to2.5,4,4,8 or even 3,3,3,7 and see what happens. Also, set the RAM voltage up to but not over 2.8v. I know it is not a great solution but, you might not be able to have this much RAM in the current MOBO you have. Mike.

This is the exact situation I wanted to know before I thought about purchasing another 512M of RAM. I even have same Asus A7N8X-Non Deluxe 2.0. with Barton 2600. I posted a similar question a few days ago however no responses. I too was worried that if I bought some extra RAM I would have stability problems. Also I don't want to have to pay a restocking fee for an RMA. That's BS. I have the TwinX1024-PC3200C2 set I think is rev. 1.2 also. I wanted to add another 512 stick. However I don't want to fudge up my timings either. Technically this is the same exact RAM so why would different stepping/revisions be incompatible? I remember in the day you could pretty much mix all kinds of ram now we have to buy all the RAM we want at one time with same revisions? This is crap, why offer a lifetime warranty, we should get a refund on the previous ram purchase so we can upgrade. So I want someone from Corsair to tell me I can do this without any problems or next time in the future I just won't use Corsair memory. :mad:

[quote name='Marvel']Roger, I see the problem I'm probably headed with this: My settings are as follows: TWINX1024-3200C2 Data Sheet TWINX512-3200C2 Data Sheet Motherboard make and model: Asus A7N8X and/or Asus P4C800/-E and/or Abit IC7. Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings: DRAM Clock: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (2.5 on AMD platform) SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank All other settings are motherboard defaults. Which would conflict with the CMX512 settings: CMX512-3200C2 Data Sheet CMX256A-3200C2 Data Sheet Motherboard make and model: EPoX EP-8K3A and/or Asus P4S533 and/or EPoX EP-8K5A, and/or Asus A7N8X. DRAM Clock: 200 MHz DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 (2.5 on AMD platform) Command Rate: 1T All other settings are motherboard defaults. So I'm basically stuck with this CMX512 even though Newegg posted the Cas Latency: as 2-3-3-6 1T, which on their site its the same for the CMX512 and the TwinX. Any ideas? So basically you have to order another set of TwinX to complete compatiablity?[/QUOTE] I don't understand your logic. Even by Corsair specs the ram runs the same timings. 6-3-3-2/2.5 Both are bank interleave of 4. So it doesn't matter how its listed as long as the value corresponds to the same thing. How is that conflicting?

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry, but we would only be able to guarantee the modules as they are sold or in other words, single modules of XMS3200C2 rated at Cass 2-3-3-6 one up and Twinx sets rated at Cass 2-3-3-6 with one set only! There is more loading on the chipset and CPU with more memory and they may not run as well when you add more memory! So the suggested settings with more than one single module or more than one Twinx set of this part# would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well!

• 8 months later...
I'm not sure if I'm suppose to start a new thread or just reply to this one so I thought I'd take a chance. I stored the ram piece away until digging it up for my brother to try it out on his motherboard. He has the same ASUS board as me but was running a XP 3000 cpu in it. He reported numerous computer restarts and crashes with it. He tried the memtest and came up with 32 errors. I filled out the RMA form about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Anything else I can do to return this ram?

Ram Guy has to approve an RMA request first. FYI: [quote name='Ram Guy']The RMA request can be made three ways: [URL= http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/rma_request.html]A link to our online form can be found here.[/URL] Complete the form, and submit it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner. [color=red][b]OR[/b][/color] you can [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.pdf]print the PDF version[/URL] and fax it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner. [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]An editable Excel version can be found here[/URL]. Complete the form and email it to [email]RMA@corsairmemory.com[/email]. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.[/QUOTE] You can also call them @ 1-888-222-4346 or just email the einfo from the RMA form to them directly.

[quote name='Marvel']I'm not sure if I'm suppose to start a new thread or just reply to this one so I thought I'd take a chance. I stored the ram piece away until digging it up for my brother to try it out on his motherboard. He has the same ASUS board as me but was running a XP 3000 cpu in it. He reported numerous computer restarts and crashes with it. He tried the memtest and came up with 32 errors. I filled out the RMA form about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Anything else I can do to return this ram?[/QUOTE] You may also want to post in the RMA section or find the link in RAM GUYs signature, "I THINK I HAVE A BAD PART". Good luck, Mike.

Archived