Corsair Community

Best way to test slow Force 3?

Bitgod

So put together the new Z77 system this weekend, and I have 2 SSDs in it. I have an Intel 520 for my system drive, and a 60GB Force 3 that I'm going to be using for a hybrid cache.

So the Intel is plugged into the Intel 6Gb port and the Force is plugged into a Marvell 6Gb port, because the ASUS uses the Marvells for their hybrid setup.

Running CrystalDisk, the Intel speed is what I would expect, but the Force was showing SATA 3Gb speeds. I put the Force onto the other Intel port, it got the same speed. Tried it with a different cable, same speed.

Now I know Corsair wants ATTO results, so I ran that last night, at the read speeds on the Force seemed closer to what I was expecting, but the write speed was still around 3Gb speeds.

So, what I want to know is, what is the preferred settings for ATTO to be set to for testing, and how to do check the FW version on the drive? Does Corsair have any kind of GUI "toolbox"-like app like Intel has?

Now that I'm home instead of posting from work...

As far as the version, I looked around in AIDA64 and it lists the Force 3 as revision 1.3.3, so I guess that answers that.

Ok, so here's an ATTO cap that I took, I wasn't sure if the settings were the best ones for testing, it's just what was there by default. This is connected to the Marvell port.

http://i.imgur.com/sozlQ.png

Those speeds are normal for the Marvell Controller, If you want SATAIII speeds, Connect it to the Intel SATA 6Gb/s port.

From the ASUS website.

Storage Intel® Z77 chipset :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *5

Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

Support Raid 0, 1

ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : *6

2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

Yup, confirming that now. I plugged the Corsair back into the Intel port and the speeds are much better. In fact comparing to the Intel 520 also on the Intel port, the speeds on the Corsair are a touch better. Odd that the CrystalDisk testing doesn't seem to like the Corsair though on either port, but would show good speeds on the Intel 520.

Oh well, point is moot at this point. The Corsair will be on the Marvell because ASUS has their SSD caching on that controller, so there I go.

Archived