Corsair Community

Corsair 650D with Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

rodney226

I have a few questions and wondered if anyone could help.

I am looking at Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, Ivy Bridge i5/i7 Unlocked processor, Corsair 650D, Corsair H100, Intel 520 SSD or Corsair Force GT, Western Digital Caviar Black (Over 1TB), 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB), Asus GTX560Ti (Non reference and pre-over clocked), Corsair AX850 Power Supply, Sony DVD and Windows 7 Ultimate (upgrade to Windows 8 when available).

I want the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard which has Fan Xpert 2. I want the Corsair H100 but will the software on the motherboard be able to control the fans on the radiator? Or do I have to go in the case and press the mode switch or can I use the switch in the SATA dock. I would prefer if the motherboard did everything.

With the H100 and this motherboard would I be able to have a pull push configuration (with all fans inside the case)? If I cannot do this is a pull or a push configuration better.

If I get the H100 it would replace the top 200mm fan. Where else could I put this 200mm fan?

• Corsair Employees
If you're using the H100, the top 200mm fan have to be removed, and there's no where else in the case you can install this 200mm unless you replace the side panel window with the mesh optional kit. You can connect the two 120mm radiator fan and control them with Fan Xpert 2.1 - they key is, you have to connect these 2 fans to the CH-Fan header on this motherboard. The CPU_FAN and OPT_Fan header will not be able to regulate the fan speed unless it's PWM fan.

I'm using the P8Z77-Deluxe in a 600T case and a H100 mounted on top. I ended up using some 3rd party fans, in part cuz I wanted some LEDs. So I've got the controller in the 600T and the controller on the H100 pump...and I'm using neither of them with my case fans. Everything is plugged into the mobo and the Fan Xpert 2 software is awesome. It was very easy to use to isolate fan noise and figure out where to set minimums for the fans to be quiet when the CPU isn't loaded down.

I've got the pump plug plugged into the CPU header, and the 4 fans (2 top, 1 rear, and the 200mm in front) plugged into the fan headers.

So if I plug the two fans connected to the radiator to the CPU fan and the CPU optional fan. Does this mean that the button on the H100 to turn the mode will be useless.

I am still confused on what to plug in where as the P8Z77 Asus boards can control 3pin fans using voltage. If the fan is connected to the Corsair mode selected on the CPU and then that is connected to the CPU fan will Fan Xpert 2 be able to control them. I dont want to have to go into my case to change settings. I want the motherboard to do it automatically and if I decide it needs more cooling then I can do it with the Fan Xpert 2 Software through Windows.

Ok, so on the deluxe, the 2 CPU headers can only control 4-pin PWM fans. That's control. If you plug in a 3-pin, you'll get readings and from what I understand, the fan will run at 100%.

All of the other headers can control 3-pin speeds. So my rear 3-pin fan is plugged into the FAN #1 header. The front 200mm fan, which uses a 3-pin if I recall, is in FAN #2 header.

The 2 top fans I'm using are PWM fans, which I'm really glad now because of my last change. So my front top is plugged into FAN #4. The rear top used to be in #3, and then the H100 3-pin (but only 1 wire for sensor) was plugged into my CPU FAN header so that it would get some readings. I just added a RAM fan (more for bling than needed cooling) and that uses 3 pins, and I definitely wanted to be able to control the speed. So what I did was move my rear top to the CPU FAN, and since that's a 4 pin, I can still control that speed. Then I put the RAM fan on the #3 header, since that can control a 3-pin fan speed. The H100 sensor got moved over to the CPU OPT header so that I could keep an eye on the pump rpm.

So there you go. I use the Fan Xpert 2 and create curves for all the fans and can have them going however I like. So I've effectively got 3 fan controllers in this case, and I'm only using the mobo to control them, heh.

So if you plug the fans into the #3 and #4 headers, you'll be able to control the speed with the Fan Xpert 2.

I dont want to set curves but I want it to go to high or low depending on the heat in the chassis. Also if I feel the system is under a heavy load or I want it to be cooler then I will want to set it manually to a high setting. If I want it to be discreet then set it to low. I want to do it within the OS and I dont want to go into the case and click that button on the H100 CPU cooler.

• Corsair Employees
You don't have to use the curves, that's just for the automation. There are several presets available through the software where you can easily select. Please contact ASUS for more information on Fan Xpert 2.

If you're using 3-pin fans, those will have to go into anything other than the 2 CPU headers to be able to control them. If you're using 4-pin, then you can put them anywhere.

Fan Xpert has 2 modes, an easy mode and advanced. Advanced gives you the curves. If you don't want that, then you want to stick with the easy mode.

Basically you connect your fans up, run the Fan Auto Tuning in Fan Xpert 2, it runs for a few minutes and figures out what the minimum and maximum speeds are for all of your fans, and then gives you 4 speeds settings. There's a Silent, Standard, Turbo, and Full Speed. I don't really see the need for Silent because I find Standard to be nearly turning off the fans anyway. But that'll let you choose your speeds without playing with curves.

If I plug the fans into the H100 block what goes into the CPU header.

Will the computer start up without a fan in the CPU header? How will the computer know the temperature and if it should switch off the computer when it reaches its maximum temperature.

I believe you can make a setting adjustment so that the BIOS doesn't look to see if there's a reading on the CPU header, but don't quote me on that, I'd check in an ASUS thread or ask ASUS. That said, all you really need to do is plug the 3-pin plug, which really just has 1 wire, from the H100 onto the CPU header, and you should see readings showing you the pump RPMs, and that'll keep the BIOS happy.

When you connect the H100 to the CPU fan connector on the motherboard what will actually be shown when looking in BIOS or any other applicaiton able to read this parameter - will you see the RPM of the fans connected to the fan hub on the H100 (and if so a median of the fans connected?) or will you see the RPM of the pump?

Should I treat it as trial and error and

plug the H100 into the CPU Header and the fans into the H100 or

plug the H100 into the CPU Header and the fans into the motherboard

recently I have been made aware of the noise and I really dont want that to be an issue. My laptop is 17" has one fan gets hot but remains normally at 3200 RPM or less and I guess I am use to the sound which is around 45-50dB and the CPU is around 50 C. I have got a few times where it reaches the max temp and I never want that to happen. If noise is not an issue I want the case to be as cold as possible.

There will be the front 200mm intake, rear 120mm exhaust, two top 120mm on the H100 acting as push and the Graphics card which has two 80mm) fans on it.

Can I use the spare 200mm for anything else without the mesh side panel.

When you connect the H100 to the CPU fan connector on the motherboard what will actually be shown when looking in BIOS or any other applicaiton able to read this parameter - will you see the RPM of the fans connected to the fan hub on the H100 (and if so a median of the fans connected?) or will you see the RPM of the pump?

You'll get the pump RPMs. If you have your fans plugged into the H100 controller, I don't think you can see the RPMs of the fans, unless the Corsair Link allows that. If you plug the fans right into the motherboard, than your motherboard will show those fan RPMs in their respective places in BIOS.

Should I treat it as trial and error and

plug the H100 into the CPU Header and the fans into the H100 or

plug the H100 into the CPU Header and the fans into the motherboard

recently I have been made aware of the noise and I really dont want that to be an issue. My laptop is 17" has one fan gets hot but remains normally at 3200 RPM or less and I guess I am use to the sound which is around 45-50dB and the CPU is around 50 C. I have got a few times where it reaches the max temp and I never want that to happen. If noise is not an issue I want the case to be as cold as possible.

There will be the front 200mm intake, rear 120mm exhaust, two top 120mm on the H100 acting as push and the Graphics card which has two 80mm) fans on it.

Can I use the spare 200mm for anything else without the mesh side panel.

It depends on what you want. You can plug them into the H100 controller fine, if you're going to use that as your speed controller and remembering until you settle on a speed setting, you may have to crack the case a few times to hit the speed button.

If you plug them into the motherboard, then you can control them with Fan Xpert 2.

You'll get the pump RPMs. If you have your fans plugged into the H100 controller, I don't think you can see the RPMs of the fans, unless the Corsair Link allows that. If you plug the fans right into the motherboard, than your motherboard will show those fan RPMs in their respective places in BIOS.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I have a question or two that look relative to this thread. The specs in my signature are of the PC I'm currently building. I'd rather use fan xpert 2 to control my fans than the front panel given the plethora of fan connectors on the board. My two questions are:-

1. Will Fan Xpert give me any control over the fan LEDs or will they be permanently on? If so I may have to invest in some non LED fans.

2. The front and side fans that come with the case have that odd connector to connect to the front panel connector. Will they still connect direct to the MB or is the shape too different?

I have a similar scenario, about to build a system based on 650D + H100, just waiting for my Z77 MB which will be an Asus. The question I have, considering I intend using the Corsair supplied fans (650D/H100), and would like to bypass both the inbuilt case and H100 fan control and use Motherboard header and the Asus fan xpert software, can the motherboard headers supply enough amps for both fans and H100 pump without burning out the headers?

I have a similar set up with an ASUS P8Z77-V Dlx in a 650D. I have an H100 in push-pull with 4 quiet 3rd party fans plugged into the H100 fan ports. You will have to do a little case mod to mount the H100 about an inch to the left of the standard mounting holes. The H100 runs on the lowest setting and fan noise is almost imperceptible. When I load the CPU down with Prime 95, the fan speed and noise increases, but not so much as to be annoying. CPU temps are very low. I may try mild overclocking after the system build is complete and running stably for a while.

What after market fans are you using? I tried 4 Noctua NF-F12 but they didn't work good at all in my case - the RPM went up and down all the time, they never seem to spin up on full speed and sometimes they even stopped. I believe the problem is they are PWM controlled fans and the fan controller in the H100 can't handle that.

Strange though is that I've read reports about those who run Cougar PWM fans connected to the H100 so I'm not sure what the real deal is with the H100 and PWM fans. Would be great if someone with the knowledge could enlighten me.

• Corsair Employees
The fan controller on H100 is only designed to work with the original Corsair fans that it came with. This may change in the future through firmware update once we did more testing on different fans.

Archived