Corsair Community

HX620W PCI-E Cable

Darkelf720

Hi guys,

My first post here.

Apologies if this is a simple thing to you guys but I am a complete noob at this kind of stuff.

I had a PC built using the HX620W power supply in 2009 (it's still going strong) and had a GTX285 using both the 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E connections.

I have just bought a GTX570 and it has 1 x 6 Pin and 1 x 8 Pin connector. I emailed Asus to see I should plug the 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E cables into the adaptor they bundled with the card but their response was

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

No, you can't do this-- keep in mind the BOTH 8pin and 6pin have to be

connected at the same time, or else the card won't have enough power to run."

To that end is there something that I can do to get the 6 and 8 pin together?

I have noticed that right next to the 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E Cables are 2 x 2pin - should I plug one of those in to make it an 8 pin or is that a big no no?

Or, should I just go buy a new PSU?

Sorry forgot to mention, I actually have the 2 x 6 Pin connectors plugged in and it's working (or else I wouldn't be here lol) but don't want the card to be underpowered and see a drop in gaming performance. (Yes I am a gamer hence my purchase)

Sorry, If someone could link me the cable(s) I need I can grab one. I have also emailed an RMA to Corsair to see if there should have been one in the box anyway, because there wasn't.

Wow, sorry about this......any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Archived