Corsair Community

Blue screen of death?

VincentP

Hi, I keep getting a blue screen of death, when I check the bios it keeps showing the corsair memory (4gb) with the wrong speed values and settings. Whenever I switch it back to its intended speed (which is 1600) and change the settings back to 9 9 9 24, it remains stable for a little bit and then I get the blue screen of death again. It usually happens when I first turn on the computer. After a about 30mins of BSOD's, its like it warms up and no longer gives me the BSOD.

But occassionally I do drop back to BSOD and when I check the bios, again, the memory speeds seem to switch downward. I tried to take it off of auto and set it to manual so it stays at the proper settings but it continues to mismatch the speed settings, like it can't accurately read the dram? Maybe the ram is unstable? Can ya help? The hard drive tests fine and I did not add any new software and never had any windows errors, I have norton antivirus running fine so no viruses are causing it? I don't know what to do... Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Vincent

I have had a similar problem with my new system and here is what I did. When I tried to use the Windows 7 setup disk to do a startup repair and system restore I would get as far as the windows 7 logo screen and then the blue screen of death followed by a restart. Using F8 I tried using "Use last known configuration that worked" to no avail. I disabled the automatic restart on system failure. And I finally got the error code which showed a rare system corruption where it mimiced a hardware failure. I ran the setup on the same hard disk where it put the old windows files into a folder called windows old. I then transferred all files from my User profile back into my new user proflile folders. I deleted the rest of the old windows files and I am presently reinstalling all programs onto my system. Its a pain but I am able to keep all my files. I hope this helps.

• Corsair Employees
With the MB and CPU you have listed you should be running the memory at DDR1066 and I would set the memory Voltage to 1.6 Volts and make sure that command Rate is set to 2T. To run the memory at DDR1333 or above you would need to over clock the CPU

Huh? I bought this ram which is listed at a speed of 1600, why would I underclock it to such a low modifier? The ram specs are listed as 1600, I don't get why the ram can't perform at the 1600 speed? Could you tell me with mb voltage too? Would that be set to 1.30 then?

Oh, so CyberPower PC sold a PC with fast memory but combined it with a CPU that did not have the capability to run the ram at the speed it was made for. Basically, they jacked me to pay more for the ram but stuck me with a cpu that was incapabile of making use of the more expensive ram without overclocking.

So, if the computer keeps blue screening after I change these settings, would it be the ram that is bad/unstable? And if it is, would I be able to get it replaced? Btw, what mb voltage should it be set to, 1.30?

I did as you suggested and set the voltage to 1.6 and the speed to 1066mhz, it is even more unstable at those settings, frequently not even allowing a boot up past bios, freezing, and giving long beeps. Would this memory be returnable for replacements?

Archived