Corsair Community

Cannot Install Force 3 60 GB on Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit) using AHCI

ryelli

I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on a new Force 3 60GB SSD using AHCI, but it hangs on reboot during the install. Here's a list of what I've tried, what "works" and what doesn't:

First, I had the wrong o/s disk and managed to install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit using AHCI with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!

I reinstalled using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit using AHCI and it hung on startup.

I updated my BIOS.

I updated the firmware on the SSD.

I installed successfully using IDE. I tried to follow the instructions for switching IDE to AHCI after the installation and it hangs again on statup.

I installed following "the ssd installation guide" including doing a secure erase and writing all 1's to the drive. Still failed.

Any final suggestions before I go the RMA route? Of course I bought the drive from Newegg and the return policy is replacement only, so I cannot even try a different SSD without throwing away this money.

Thanks in advance.

Well If it is working in IDE mode I dont think the drive is Faulty.. From what I gathered you need to instsall the AHCI drivers when instsalling Windows.. In the Begining of the Windows install it asks you to Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers this needs to be preessed and it will then load some more drivers then after a while a screen pops up and asks you to install the AHCI Drivers.. but you will probally need a floppy to do that..

Which Directions did you use to switch from IDE to AHCI?? Was it at the Microsoft Website with the Registry Edit??

The Nephilim,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've heard similar advice to the "need to press F6" directive, but I have never seen the "Press F6 to install drivers prompt" during install. The only point where i can load drivers is when the Windows install prompts to select a drive. There is a "Install Drivers" option. I have tried to install drivers at this point and it never accepts any of the drivers I try to install. I even reinstalled Windows 7 Professional and copied the entire System32\Drivers and SysWOW64\Drivers folder and tried to install the drivers from there.

When I successfully install using IDE, I have tried both methods (regedit and windows "Mr. Fix It"). I have even verified that the Mr Fix It from Microsoft affects the same registry key as modifying manually. Either way, it hangs on reboot and I have to revert back to IDE to run.

I would just run IDE and walk away, but it is only running an average of 90MB/S reads.

I find it really odd that Windows 7 Professional runs just fine, but not Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks

The F6 option is "Install Drivers". You get your F6 drivers via the manufacturers website or the chispet maker.

I searched your motherboard and its a OEM. Which may mean you would need to look in to HP's website to find the drivers. Also the chipset might not be compatible with the SSD.

I have previously downloaded the chipset drivers. That is the only time the "Load Drivers" actually identified a driver that was compatible with my hardware. However, upon installing them under "Load Drivers" it fails while trying to load them.

Last night I also attempted to download a new copy of the ISO and burn a new disk using Microsoft's ISO USB/DVD tool, hoping that i had an error on the DVD. However, I still had the same issue.

I've tried to find an email for HP's support; however, if you are outside of their warranty they leave no recourse to contact them without incurring a charge!

• Corsair Employees
The fact you can install the Professional version of Windows 7 with no problems would suggest it is something with one of the default drivers that Windows Home is installing that may be causing that. Have you spoke to Microsoft?

So I finally got it working. I don't like the route I had to take, but it's working. I ended up installing as IDE. Then, following Microsoft's writeup on enabling the AHCI drivers, I had it bomb a few times on startup. Then, after several failed starts, it actually came up and was working.

Now, after all this, I'm on an SSD with SATA 1 speeds! It matches the crappy WD Green TB drive in read and write performance.

So far, I found found several people that have similar issues and it seems to be rooted in the nVidia chipset. I will post if I get it working.

RAM Guy, to your point, I would find it incredibly odd if Win 7 Pro used a different AHCI driver than Win 7 Home. This doesn't seem like the types of "upgrades" MS would build into that type of differentiation. It might very well be the issue, it just seems odd.

Thanks for your help.

Archived