Corsair Community

CM3X2048-1333C9DHX and Asus P5E3 WS Pro

netmagus

For some time now I have had infrequent intermittent issues where my system would just freeze with static noise and I would have to hit the reset button. Since it didn’t happen a lot I didn’t pay as much attention to it as I should have but I would say it has been going on for over a year. Up until recently I hadn’t made any Hardware changes. The problem originally started when I was running Vista but continues with the same symptom with a fresh install of Win7. While it did seem to happen more while in games it also happened occasionally when I was just sitting at the desktop sometimes with nothing actively running. I started having more issues with it lately when I started playing C&C Tiberian Alliances. Something about this game seemed to make it worse. A little over a week ago I upgraded my video card from a Nvidia 275 to a Radeon 7870. That increased the issue frequency as well. In addition to the humming crashes I also would get a BSOD with the Radeon card but since it was still that same humming crash I think the card was fine it just aggravated whatever the issue is. It was so bad I couldn’t go for more than an hour without it crashing just sitting at the desktop. I run CPUID hardware monitor and everything seems to be okay with my temps so I don't think that is the issue. I have downloaded memtest86 and that has not found any problems. One interesting thing I found with memtest is if I let it go for more than one pass it still runs but the program becomes non responsive and I have to either reset or power cycle the system. Not sure if that is related or not. Once I started having issues I started manually hard coding some of the memory and voltage settings in the BIOS. I also found that one of my Seagate drives needed a firmware update so I took care of that also. I removed the radeon drivers then ran a driver cleaner to remove all files for both nvidia and radeon. Then reinstalled the Radeon after a clean boot. I had thought that I consulted the Asus supported memory doc back when I built the system, but this memory is not on that list which may be part of my problem. The CM3X1024-1333C9DHX is on there so I may have overlooked the 1024 memory size. I have not had a crash in a little over a day but before recent events it could go sometimes a week without an incident. I have one question right now while I wait to see if I still have the issue.

On the CM3X2048-1333C9DHX memory sticks themselves the voltage is listed as 1.7V. Both Memset and CPU-Z report the memory as 1.5V. I have it set for 1.7 right now in the BIOS. What is the right setting?

memory.thumb.jpg.02084cdad94bf58b5dc3f0375de87463.jpg

The issue is still occurring. Now I get a BSOD with the sound every time. I attached pictures of what my BIOS settings are under ai tweeker. I had the NB voltage still on auto. The min is 1.25. should I start there and then increase to 1.35?

DSC01408.JPG.81cb0094b3a4adbb142faf85f57baaa5.JPG

DSC01409.JPG.a06e371b51b6cd7e8778e6ed3fa4e093.JPG

DSC01411.JPG.d0291d0566e833eb35b1a1c55ffc9bfa.JPG

I changed command rate to 2N. I have two 2GB modules installed. I ran memtest86 with usb legacy support disabled a couple of days ago. The version I used was 4.0a. The version on the link you provided is 4.2. I am running it again now with 4.2 and will post the results after I let it run for a few hours.

Well it was good until yesterday that I had it crash 3 times in about a four hour period. Not sure why I didn't change anything. No Blue screens this time just the typical lock up with static which required the reset button. You last sugestion was to lower the CPU Freq a few MHz. Can you be a little more specific? Also in my original post I mentioned that this memory was not on the support memory list for this board. The 1024MB modules are. Could that be the problem?

I believe RG figured you were overclocking. But then again he comes up with things out of his little black hat sometimes.

[Edit} Sorry i missed your pics of memtest results!

I had the NB voltage still on auto. The min is 1.25. should I start there and then increase to 1.35?

Yes, give that a try if you have not.

What about the latest BIOS? Do you have that?

• Corsair Employees
I believe RG figured you were overclocking. But then again he comes up with things out of his little black hat sometimes.

Well yes and no but actually many MB's when you use Auto settings for the frequency will slightly increase the CPU frequency and as such can make the system seem unstable in some configurations.

Quote:

Well yes and no but actually many MB's when you use Auto settings for the frequency will slightly increase the CPU frequency and as such can make the system seem unstable in some configurations.

See!.....:p:

I have the latest/last BIOS that was released for the board. It is version 0803. I have no interest in overclocking. I'll start with setting the NB voltage to 1.25 instead of auto. Then i'll move to 1.35 if I have issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Well it still happens but its a lot less common than is was. In the last two weeks it has probably happened four times. RG made a comment that system boards with auto settings will sometimes over clock some which can cause issues. If you take a look at the pics of my BIOS is there any other settings there that I should consider setting to hard values?

Archived