Corsair Community

A7N8X-E Deluxe, AMD Barton 3200+, and Value Ram Problem

RCman

Hi everyone, First of let me say I've been searching the internet and this site for awhile trying to find somebody with similar hardware and issues that has been able to fix the problem, however no luck. OK before I start here's what I'm running: - Windows XP Professional SP1 - Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev 2 Bios 1011 - AMD Barton 3200+ - 1GB (2x512mb) of Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM, Model VS1GBKIT400 - Radeon 9600 256MB - Maxtor 80GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM - 550 Watt Power Supply - Lite-on 16x DVD ROM & 52x32x52x Burner Now here the problem, I can not seem to get the computer to boot to windows with the FSB set at 200mhz (400mhz effective), however If I do clock the system done to 185mhz then Windows Boots and Loads, however does NOT run stable at all :(: . In order to get the system to run stable I have to clock it down to 166mhz (giving me an expensive 2500+ :eek: ). I am running the ram with timings of 2.5, 3, 3, 8 with voltage at 2.6Volts. I've tried increasing it to 2.7Volts does not help at all. I'm going to run Memtest86+ right now and let you guys know what happens. Can anyone give me some advice? (timings, voltages, ect) Thanks for the help in advance, Bill

OK here are the results of what happened when I ran Memtest86+ v1.20 First time I ran it I ran the CPU at 166Mmhz and the ram as well at 166mhz, I had no errors and was able to complete 2 Passes with no trouble. Second I ran it with the CPU and the memory set at 200mhz, timings at 2.5, 3, 3, 8 and voltage at 2.6Volts, athough during the first pass the computer just shut down (I don't know what test it was on i went to get a drink :(: ) So I went into Bios and set the Memory speed to 100% and not 'By Spd' and increased the voltage to 2.7Volts, this time it completed Pass 1, but on pass 2 during Test#5 the computer froze, although it showed no errors. I have no idea what that means, or if that helps anyone help me.. if you want me to do something ele just let me know. [B]Wired[/B] My ram was already in slots 2 and 3 :D: But as for using every 'menu' & 'user define' settings under 'advanced features', and turning 'FSB spread spectrum' off, I'll try that right now... Thanks, Bill

[B]Wired[/B] I tried what you suggested.. Turning the FSB Spectrum to 'Disabled' (was at 50), did not seam to have any effect. Also nothing is set to 'Auto' If that is what you meant by the second part. Still no luck, if I try booting at the 200mhz, the Windows boot screen shows and loads, but when the screen goes bleack and the "Welcome" window is supposed to show, it either hangs and does nothing or reboots. :(: Any other suggestions? Thanks, Bill

• Corsair Employee
Please see if you can test the modules in another system to be sure and I would test them one module at a time with www.memtest.org! If they both pass and since they both pass at 166 MHz I think they will, I would first make sure that you have the latest bios 1.011 even if your MB came with that version, I would re-flash and then load setup defaults and test the modules one at a time to see if that does not solve it! If this does not solve the problem and the modules pass in another MB I would replace the MB with the non -e version if possible and I think you will have no more problems!

OK, I'll try that.... but it will have to wait thill Monday, cause I can't get to the other system till then (on vacation right now) I'm hoping it does not come down to replacing the motherboard, because I need the 'E' version, so I'll have to shop for other types of ram them, I don't want to because I've always had my best luck with Cosair. Thanks, Bill

• Corsair Employee
You might try setting the AGP Voltage to 1.6 Volts and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and see if that does not help! In addition, I would go and look at [url]www.asusforums.org[/url] under the AMD section there are a few threads about this MB!

Archived