Corsair Community

PC hangs with Survivor plugged in

msm

We have 16 and 32 GB Survivor Flash Drives. They are used to restore W7 images to our PC's. They are formatted NTFS and made bootable via Diskpart.

If plugged into the USB port when the PC is powered and F2 invoked to bring up the BIOS, the PC hangs. As soon as the device is removed, the BIOS screen appears. The same thing happens when F7 is pressed to bring up the boot option screen.

tia

• Corsair Employees
You will need to contact Microsoft and get the latest version of DiskPart but to be sure there is no problem with the drives I would use the format utility linked under the F.A. Q. Software download and format the drives and see if the function properly then recreate the Install drives.

• 7 months later...

I have the same issue here:

I use two Corsair Survivor USB 3.0 32GB Sticks for the Microsoft SCCM offline deployment.

Since I've got the actual HP pc & laptop line-up, I am faced with this problem.

The HP Elite 8300 and the EliteBooks 2570p & 8470p are featuring the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (Intel Series 7) for USB 3.0 Support.

When I plug in the Stick into an USB 3.0 port prior to booting up the machine, the pc / laptop hangs at the post screen.

This can't be a driver issue, because at this moment there is no active OS.

Additionally the laptops (2570p & 8470p) indicate a “General system board failure“ (LEDs blink 5 times).

Curiously the system starts as expected as soon as I plug in the Survivor into an USB 2.0 port.

Of course the speed of the SCCM offline deployment is then limited by the USB 2.0 interface.

Strangely USB 3.0 Devices (HDDs & Sticks) by other brands work fine plugged into the same USB 3.0 port.

Once booted into Windows 7 I can plug in the Survivor into any USB 3.0 port and it works flawless in SuperSpeed mode.

Another issue I realized with the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller vs. the Corsair Survivor USB 3.0 32GB running in Windows XP:

According to Intel their USB 3.0 Controller works as an USB 2.0 Controller in Windows XP / Vista.

Sadly the Survivor isn’t recognized at all when it’s plugged into an Intel USB 3.0 port function as USB 2.0 port in Windows XP.

Summing all this up I would say that the Survivor has a problem with the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller or vice versa.

Could you please investigate this constellation?

Best Regards

Sebastian

This can't be a driver issue, because at this moment there is no active OS.

Curiously the system starts as expected as soon as I plug in the Survivor into an USB 2.0 port.

Can you try the drive in a USB 2.0 Port or another system to be sure its not just a driver issue with this system?

:confused:

Hi Ram Guy,

I am a little bit disappointed by your answer because it seems that you haven't read my post carefully.

As I already mentioned the problem happens prior to booting the OS (operating system) during POST (power on self-test). If the stick is plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports and the machine is powered on it won't boot to the OS at all. It just stops responding during POST. There is NO driver active at this moment because there is no active OS.

And as I also already mentioned the system boots up normally when I use one of the USB 2.0 ports instead.

I want to use the Survivor für booting up the SCCM task-sequence environment saved on the stick for offline deployment. So it's necessary to plug in the stick prior to the boot process because I want to use it as a boot device. Actual the size of our deployment is about 15GB of packages saved to the stick. I think you can imagine that I would prefer using USB 3.0 speed for this scenario.

We bought about 500 HP Elite 8300 desktops, 250 HP EliteBook 8470p laptops and 25 HP EliteBook 2570p laptops (in spring next year we will buy a similar amount of machines again). Of course I was only able to test a handful of these machines with the two Survivor Sticks but it was always the same behavior.

Another issue I realized with the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller vs. the Corsair Survivor USB 3.0 32GB running in Windows XP:

According to Intel their USB 3.0 Controller works as an USB 2.0 Controller in Windows XP / Vista.

Sadly the Survivor isn’t recognized at all when it’s plugged into an Intel USB 3.0 port function as USB 2.0 port in Windows XP.

This issue is only second priority because my company wants to get rid of Windows XP during the next year. But again it's a similar problem: Intel does not provide any drivers for their USB 3.0 controller for Windows XP & Vista. It should just work as a normal USB 2.0 controller.

And in fact, it does: a Kingston JetFlash USB 2.0 Stick, a Lexar Triton USB 3.0 Stick and a Western Digital USB 3.0 HDD work without problems in USB 2.0 mode plugged into the USB 3.0 port in Windows XP. Only the two Corsair Survivors are not working at all, they are just recognized by the device manager and marked with a yellow bang.

The funny part is that the Survivors work flawless as USB 3.0 devices in Windows 7 once the OS is booted up. And with an USB 3.0 controller made by NEC/Renesas there's absolutely no problem. It seems to be a special issue with the Corsair Survivor and the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.

So please read my post carefully this time and please don't answer with a stock response about a driver issue. I know what I am doing and I have enough technical skills to do easy things like installing a driver. I am responsible for 2500 managed client machines and hundreds more on our construction sites so I should be able to do this. Nevertheless it is impossible to install a driver during POST.

Well at least I have an easy solution: buying USB 3.0 sticks of another brand.

But in my imagination it was a nice idea to use the Corsair Survivor for offline deployment on our construction sites because of the ruggedized design.

So maybe you could find a solution?

Best Regards

Sebastian

Archived