Corsair Community

Shroud

Just bought a Corsair CSSD-F90GBGT-BK R (personally I think it should be classified as an 80gb) I was taught to round up only if greater then or equal to 5. don't think 83.6 justifies a round up to 90 but thats marketing for you. I mean thats so close to 82 but I bet they would round that up to 90 too.

Anyhow that is besides the point. My issue is when I install windows 7 on this it takes up 60GB of space! I wanted to use this hard drive in one machine just for operating system and a few games. I thought 90 gb would be enough. Even 83.6 should be. When I install windows 7 on other drives it is barely over 10 gb. This is a very weird bug but I am new to win7 and ssds.

Hopefully its some easy error on my end. I did try looking over forums before posting but have seen anything that seems to apply to me.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

As for the space showing only as 83.6G, It's normal its not any marketing thing for them. Don't know how to explain it but you can Google it.

Windows takes up 60GB of space once it finishes the install and goes to the desktop? Or After you installed all your programs and updates?

-If its after the install,

Go to the SSD drive and right click> properties each folder until you see the one where it has the most space used.

Did you disable Hibernation and change your page file setting?

After installing updates and programs

-Delete temporary files

-Delete any restore points.

That is the strangest thing I've ever heard.

I bet it's not the SSD. Something weird is going on your computer.

There is no way Win7 takes up 60GB unless "something" is eating up your space like biscuits. Even my Win7 64-bit plus a TON of programs only takes up 30GB (no hibernation & pagefile on SSD).

its gotta be somthing on that end (hibernation and pagefile) because just the OS,drivers and any program like microsoft essentials, my asrock instantboot, xfast usb, xfast ram, and extreme utility plus 5GB allocated for restore points leave 54.7 GB of free space but i am also running my user account on a raid hdd. i would recommend turning of hibernation and lower the pagefile size like mentioned in this tweak guide. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82516

Shadow Storage, the Recovery area will take up to 15% of the hard drive. That is going to be 12GB's or so.

Space Sniffer, http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/index.html, is a good program to run. It will show you where the space is being used. From that you can possibly figure out what is going on?

I've got a 115GB Corsair and with a lot of programs on C: (Office and others) it uses 60GB's or so. No Shadow Storage, PAGEFILE or Hybernate on the drive though. Most TEMP locations for programs moved of the drive as well. iTunes too as much as I could move the data.

Irv S.

Archived