Corsair Community

RAM GUY, did I shoot myself in the foot with 2GB of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO?

Auspex

Okay, so I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an Athlon 64 FX-53 in it, and two matched pairs (4 DIMMs total) of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO. Being slightly ignorant of the pros and cons, I knew I wanted 2GB of memory no matter what, but I also wanted the fastest memory for my platform that I could get... so I figured, again, quite ignorantly, that I could just buy two 1GB matched pairs for a total of 2GB (4x512MB). I liked what I saw on paper: timings of 2-2-2-5 at DDR400. However, in practice, I'm getting timings of 2-3-2-5 and the stupid things are running at 166MHz rather than 200 (DDR333, it looks like -- ?? -- rather than DDR400). I'm playing Doom 3 at 1280x1024, and while it's quite smooth most of the time, I'm not getting the high scores on the timedemo that I'm seeing reported on so many sites for my processor and video card combo. (I have a GeForce 6800 Ultra.) My question is -- did I shoot myself in the foot by loading up with 4 DIMMs? Would a single matched pair have been better? I've seen that the TWINX2048 has a higher latency, but would running at full DDR400 be faster even with slightly more sluggish timings? I guess the warranty only covers replacement in the event of a faulty module. Since these technically aren't faulty, there's nothing I can do, is there? Help!

• Corsair Employee
That is a chipset or in this case a limitation on the memory controller, in that if you have more than 2 modules it will default to DDR333! And, I would suggest you use 2 1.0 Gig modules over running 4-512's as that would run at DDR400! However, these modules are the fastest part we make and they might be faster than 2 1.0 Gig modules even at DDR333!

Addendum: I've made a discovery... My friend just received his top-of-the-line AMD-based Alienware system, which also uses an FX-53 in an A8V Deluxe motherboard, with 2GB of Corsair PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz (so said the order spec) in a 4x512MB configuration. (I don't know the specific part number.) I looked at his CPU-Z readout and the RAM is also running at ~160MHz (DDR333), just like mine... except that his timings were considerably slower (several 3s and I think I saw an 8)! Now, the highest AMD spec possible on the Alienware site during memory selection -- the "recommended" option -- is: [B]2GB Extreme Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz - 4 x 512MB[/B] Very interesting that their recommended spec is also a 4-DIMM solution. If timings are really the most important factor with an Athlon 64-based system, then I'm probably in good stead, since I'm still running at 2-3-2-5, which is just a hair above the lowest latency the TWINX1024-3200XL modules can do. Maybe the lower latency more than makes up for the lower data rate... Anyone else here running 4 DIMMs at 2-3-2-5?

Archived