Corsair Community

Strange freeze / unfreeze

Yes I 've had this Force 3 120GB SSD working for a couple of months now with no problems at all -- SSD related that is.

I made the huge mistake of installing EasyBCD and it screwed up both my Windows 7 SSD disk and Windows 8 SATA disk and I wound up having to delete the partitions on the SSD and install Widows 7 again and then restore backups for both Windows 7 and 8 but that had nothing to do with the SSD, except it was a victim.

There may be motherboards that have problems with them, that I couldn't say.

But with my ASUS P9X79 it runs rock solid.

The problems from EasyBCD may have been partially my fault, not sure.

But, since the 1.3.3 firmware there has no no problem with the SSD drive at all.

This being a user forum people come here for help and information. There are only a relative few out of how many thousands who have bought the drives that are having problems and who come here.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Well I thought I was happy with my SSD when I posted before but 2 weeks ago I had to format drives and re-install. Thought it was ok until yesterday when the cursor would move but mouse clicks were ignored. Couldn't do anything in Windows 7.

Then this morning it worked for awhile then froze up again while I was typing.

What are all the symptoms of freezing?

How can a device with no moving parts freeze?

cursor would move but mouse clicks were ignored.

Exactly same symptoms im having, wich eventually leads to bsod. I'm happy to see yet another customer facing the truth, allthough i do feel sorry for you, as i know how you feel.

In my opinion its just a matter of time.. For some its stable for about 4 days like me, for others maybe weeks or even months.. Guess it depends on your MB and in wich way you are using your pc.

I have been working with pc's for over 15 years, so i believe i have done everything possible trying to fix these broken drives.

Im wondering when/if this ever will be dealt with by corsair. Not that it bothers me anymore, as i have lost patient, and changed to another brand, wich hopefully will be stable.

UPDATE (3/29/2012: DO NOT BUY "COPARTNER" SATA CABLES!!! They were the reason for my system freeze/bsod!!

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday my computer had been running fine in Windows 7 all day long. A week or so ago I installed all the latest drivers for my MB from ASUS.

It had been humming right along with no freezes or issues at all.

Then, last night I clicked on < SHUTDOWN > and got a BSOD!!!

Tried to reboot and it would only go to the Windows logo and freeze.

Tried several times, no luck .. wouldn't go past logo. I was completely powering off and cold booting.

So I booted into Windows 8 and fooled around there the rest of the evening.

This morning I was all set to have to reformat the darn SSD and re-install everything.

Turned on the computer and left the room expecting to come back and see it froze at the logo.

SURPRISE!!! It booted up with no problem at all.

Last night it wouldn't boot -- today no problem.

Got the 1.3.3 firmware and all the latest drivers for everything but still get crazy freezes.

How can something with no moving parts freeze?

So I booted into Windows 8 and fooled around there the rest of the evening.

On another platter drive, or the same ssd?

When i had bsod, most of the times, after restart, the drive would not even get detected in bios. I had to leave the power off it for about 5min. Once i even experienced it needed over an hour without power, before detected again. But i also had the freeze at windows logo as you explain.

The only thing i could suggest, is trying with yet anoter sata cable, as this were the only thing solving the problem for me.

Windows 8 is on a standard SATA drive, completely separate.

I'm using the SATA cables that came with the ASUS MB with the white ends. Supposed to be good.

If the cable was bad, I would expect constant trouble, not a freeze every few weeks.

The only other cables I have are some black ones that also came with the motherboard and some older red ones that came with previous motherboard.

Not aware of any branded cable that is supposed to be really really good. I thought the ASUS cables with the white ends were special cables and supposed to be good for SSD. That's why they included two different types of cables.

Windows 8 is on a standard SATA drive, completely separate.

Ahh ok.

I'm using the SATA cables that came with the ASUS MB with the white ends. Supposed to be good.

The MB included cables ought to be good yes. hmm..

If the cable was bad, I would expect constant trouble, not a freeze every few weeks.

No, that do sound weird. I could not go more than 4 days without freeze/bsod..

Have you memtestet your ram? Maybe you have and unstable OC?

Twinblast -- no I haven't ran memtest. I bought a matched set of 16 gigs of RAM. Perhaps I will run memtest overnight tonight. I had the ASUS AI suite do the overclocking automatically -- I didn't fiddle with the bits myself. Figured they knew how to do it safely. Of course, I suppose it's always possible the CPU doesnt' like what ASUS did but it's strange it would run for weeks with no problem.

Toasted, I have no idea what the BSOD error code was. I didn't write anything down ... just started stoopidly at the screen going " WTF ? "

The only RAID drives I have are an external array in a box that I use for backups now but I don't even turn that on unless I want to use it.

My Windows 7 boot drive is the SSD installed in the first SATA3 port where everyone says it should go.

Computer ran fine yesterday -- no problems at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I happened to go to Avast's help forum this morning in search of an answer to a question I had about Windows 8. I know it isn't supported but people are using it and sometimes you find an answer.

Anyway, I saw a LOT of people are reporting that Avast ver 7 is causing their computer to freeze!!

Sound familiar?

Symptoms exactly like we are having in this forum.

My SSD is constantly locking up so I fired it up and deleted Avast virus program and turned on Windows 7 Firewall and Windows Defender.

I noticed in the list of services that avast had two instances still running .. the firewall and something else -- don't remember now. Anyway I stopped them and disabled them.

So far ... only an hour or two ... no lockup.

Avast may or may not be the culprit.

But, if you are using Avast you might try deleting it ( you can always re-install ) and see if it help you.

Strange thing is ... it doesn't bother our old laptop at all. Running Window 7 64 bit on it too but it is an old dual core processor with only a couple gigs of RAM.

It may be that Avast only causes freezes with newer processors. This desktop has an i-7 running at 4.2 ghz.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed. Just maybe Avast is the problem.

Archived