Corsair Community

MacBook Pro i7 Early 2011 16G RAM

pbuick

I had read that the MacBook Pro supported it, though not officially through Apple, nor Corsair configurator:(:.

So since I really needed more RAM for what I was doing (see below), I bought a CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9 kit, installed it and it worked well ... for a while.

It seems that perhaps there is a thermal problem:[pouts:. I do edit/compile/test cycles with some intensive data transformation code under Windows in Fusion 4 which pegs the CPU for a while. The MacBook Pro fan goes full-tilt and the Fan control software shows up to 94-95 degrees CELSIUS (I believe) with the fan at the full speed for extended periods. I have tried a cooling blanket underneath and raising the laptop, but the temperature sensor used by the fan control software still indicates 90+:bigeyes:. Often, I run the Folding@Home project as well, which pegs the temperature at about the same temperature and keeps it there 24/7:eek:.

The factory RAM has handled this well, but I am on my 3'rd set of the RAM kit mentioned above in about the same number of months. (Thank goodness for my vendor's extended warranty!) It will eventually start to cause kernel panics or pseudo file system errors and when I boot the Ubuntu Rescue Disk and run memtest86+, sure enough, the RAM (even after letting it all cool down) fails testing.

Is there nothing I can do to run the higher amount of RAM reliably without cutting louvres into the MacBook Pro case? (Anyone for flames on the case too if I need to do this? :laughing:)

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but we did test these at Apple and they as you found work but as you also mentioned Apple explicitly states these systems will not support 8.0 Gig modules only 8 Gig max using 2 4.0 Gig modules. Just curious if you do not run the folding software do you have any problems?

So of the three of us doing development with MacBook Pros of the same vintage with the same upgraded RAM, the fellow who doesn't use a lot of CPU has not had any failures yet. I guess that may give you your answer.

The other fellow runs multiple VM's doing development etc. and has had one set of upgrade RAM fail as well as a suspected SSD failure within a couple of months.

I had the RAM fail *AND* the original HDD failed (it wouldn't pass SMART long self-test). This is within a year!

I don't think I have *not* run folding long enough to be able to state that they don't fail without it running. I may not be long enough at this employer to turn folding off now and say with any certainty that it won't fail in a reasonable amount of time since I am moving across the country at the beginning of June.

On mine, the first set, one module died a horrible death, memtest86+ went red immediately with a stream of bad tests on one of the two modules. When I ran the other by itself, it tested fine.

The second set, I had one address that consistently was showing a one bit failure during testing (stuck bit perhaps).

Yes, we really treat these laptops as if they were desktops, but we move around into and out of the lab, do demos with them as well as remote work, so we do need laptops, not desktops.

Unfortunately, running a development VM under Fusion 4 with Thunderbird, Firefox and the other usual utilities open brings the machine to its' knees with only 8G of ram, never mind trying to run a second VM simultaneously to test the developed software without suspending/resuming the VM's etc. It works like a champ with 16G though.

• Corsair Employees
We have sent some requests to Apple for help with these types of questions but I don't expect we will get an answer any time soon as their official response at this time is that it is not supported. Sorry but that is all I can tell you at this point.

Archived