Corsair Community

Possible problem with my H100

purpleballs

I recently installed my H100 on my 3930k and idle temps are 43-47 idle on all cores when i run prime 95 small fft they peak around 78 this is on stock temps. i read other threads and other pages on this issue with thermal paste and on fan placement. I have my fans pushing air from outside the case into the rad. I have two exaust fans and 6 intake fans in the system all intakes are 120mm but one that is 200mm the exaust fans are 240mm and 120 mm. I have checked to see if the cpu block was obstructed or if it was contacting the cpu squarely. i have the molex connecter connected to my psu and the 3 pin connected to the cpu. I have tried to reset the firmware. I did test the profile switch and I don't hear any change in fan speeds. when the computer is full load i do hear the fans ramp up though. the main problem i see but am not sure about is that when I touch the lines that lead to the rad they are basically cold. i can touch the cpu block all over and its cold. the rad is cold. i know it has to be working some because when i first hooked it up i didn't hook up the molex but when i did it did drop the temps some. what i am wondering is if my pump could be DOA?

figured it out everywhere i looked states to put the fans pushing air in from outside threw the rad. in my case and set up it dropped temps down 10-11 degrees changeing the fans to suck air threw the rad and out the top of the case. my at load temps are now max of 65 on one core rest are around 60. now I can finally overclock this bad boy and see what it can do. wonder if my temps would drop more if i could find a way to mount the fans below the rad i have an idea but it seems that to do this I would have to loose an exaust fan on the top to get the rad and hoses threw the top to mount under the dust cover. any ideas?

It's great you got it working well for you. Usually running these coolers with the fans as intake works best. All I can think of is you had so many other intake fans rather than exhaust fans that you created such a high positive pressure case environment that it literally limited the amount of air the H100 was able to push through the rad. Given the size of your case (internal volume), that would seem less likely, but who knows? Your internal case temp, thanks to its volume, is obviously low so running in exhaust mode works well for you.

It's great you got it working well for you. Usually running these coolers with the fans as intake works best. All I can think of is you had so many other intake fans rather than exhaust fans that you created such a high positive pressure case environment that it literally limited the amount of air the H100 was able to push through the rad. Given the size of your case (internal volume), that would seem less likely, but who knows? Your internal case temp, thanks to its volume, is obviously low so running in exhaust mode works well for you.

Case is massive lol I could probably hide my daughter in it if the components were gone. After an hour of stress testing with p95 temps peaked at 79 on a single core but didn't stay basically leveled out to around 77 max. from the get go I was thinking that I was causing turbulance in my case with having the fans bring in cold air. That does seem to be what was going on. planning on replaceing the stock fans in the future with some of the cougar ones for quietness the two stock fans are louder than the other 9 fans in the system lol

Archived