Corsair Community

Corsair Force GT without AHCI

iansuy

I'm planning to buy the Corsair Force GT 120GB tomorrow (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK).

I'm using an old motherboard (ASUS P5K SE) that doesn't support AHCI.

Will I experience any problem when running on IDE mode? Aside from the acceptable performance drop when running in IDE.

Thanks,

Ian

That board only supports SATA II, so you'll only get half of the max speed of the drive.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really mind the speed degradation because I will upgrade my board next year.

What I really wanted to know is:

1. Will running on IDE, as opposed to AHCI, present any STABILITY problem (BSOD/Hangs/Freezes)?

2. If I need to upgrade the drive's FW, will I be able to do it on IDE? (Some say they were able to upgrade on IDE... AHCI is only recommended)

3. Officially, Corsair "recommends" AHCI. But the reason is performance not stability. Does this apply to Corsair Force GT?

Q: What settings, if any, do I need to adjust in my system BIOS for optimal SSD performance?

A: Enabling AHCI in your system BIOS is the only setting we recommend adjusting for optimal SSD performance.

Thanks!

You should not have stability problems using your SSD with a SATA II controller, it will be fine. AHCI mode if basically for better performance, although some features like hot plugging do not work in IDE mode.

Firmware updates may require AHCI mode, some manufactures specifically state that. You'll just need to check the information with any firmware update. If AHCI mode is required, you could update your SSD on another PC. Otherwise you'll need to live with your boards limitations until you get a new one.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really mind the speed degradation because I will upgrade my board next year.

What I really wanted to know is:

1. Will running on IDE, as opposed to AHCI, present any STABILITY problem (BSOD/Hangs/Freezes)?

Actually some of us have found that the stability increases when you use IDE rather than AHCI. I was getting a lot of freezes, until I switched it back to IDE mode. IDE mode still supports the TRIM feature, which is important for both SSD longevity and performance.

2. If I need to upgrade the drive's FW, will I be able to do it on IDE? (Some say they were able to upgrade on IDE... AHCI is only recommended)

3. Officially, Corsair "recommends" AHCI. But the reason is performance not stability. Does this apply to Corsair Force GT?

Thanks!

Go for it, FW can be upgraded with IDE drivers, just as easily.

From memory Asus removed the AHCI option for some P5K mobos due to intel licence probs. (ICH9 chipset not the ICH9R). However you can enable AHCI by cross flashing with the P5KR bios version 0605. If it is that important check out the Asus forums or google "enabling AHCI on P5K" or such like. Just remember all the usual safety caveats and don't try it if you can't afford to possibly lose your mobo.

Archived