Corsair Community

12v at 11.484?!

Rognin

If you get a volt meter, set it to 20V DC range, plug black probe into GND in any 4-pin Molex connector, and the red probe into +12V - yellow wire - in any Molex connector, preferably not the same you have chosen to connect the black probe to, so you don't touch the probes together, which would cause a short circuit.

Use the red probe to check +12V (yellow) and +5V (red) (and optionally 3,3V, orange) voltages in different connectors, such as a 4-pin Molex, 6/8-pin PCI-E and/or 4/8-pin EPS (CPU) and 24-pin ATX connector.

Use the red probe to check +12V (yellow) and +5V (red) (and optionally 3,3V, orange) voltages in different connectors, such as a 4-pin Molex, 6/8-pin PCI-E and/or 4/8-pin EPS (CPU) and 24-pin ATX connector.

Check them all to be safe. According to the software they are all off.

Software is stupid.

More precisely, built-in voltage sensors are stupid.

They are measuring voltage difference between source and reference, mess with their reference and they will show everything as wrong while it may be correct in reality. That's because their reference is in the same circuit as the point of measurement.

Volt meter has its own reference voltage and that's why you should use that to verify.

Oh and don't forget to measure +5VSB voltage, that's the purple wire in the 24-pin ATX connector. If it's off, everything will be off too, because that's a reference voltage for the whole PSU.

Software is stupid.

More precisely, built-in voltage sensors are stupid.

They are measuring voltage difference between source and reference, mess with their reference and they will show everything as wrong while it may be correct in reality. That's because their reference is in the same circuit as the point of measurement.

Volt meter has its own reference voltage and that's why you should use that to verify.

Oh and don't forget to measure +5VSB voltage, that's the purple wire in the 24-pin ATX connector. If it's off, everything will be off too, because that's a reference voltage for the whole PSU.

Um the AX1200 has all black wires... guess I'll just pop up some diagrams to find out which is which. I talked to the electrician here on camp, he'll lend me a volt meter tomorrow. If the PSU is off I'll RMA it, as this might be what is crashing my system when I play games or fold.

I think I have a bad PSU... It fluctuated from this to 11.78

Gigabyte ET6

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/Numbskullius/Voltage-1.png

Voltmeter 12v

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/Numbskullius/IMG_0208-1.jpg

Voltmeter 5v

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/Numbskullius/IMG_0210.jpg

Guess I have to RMA it...

your allowed 5% varience in voltage either up or down. Those voltages are still within spec. It may be borderline under load, but it shouldn't be causing you any issues. But i've seen stranger things happen too!

Have you checked your event logs to see why or where the crash is happening?

your allowed 5% varience in voltage either up or down. Those voltages are still within spec. It may be borderline under load, but it shouldn't be causing you any issues. But i've seen stranger things happen too!

Have you checked your event logs to see why or where the crash is happening?

As soon as I put any load to the three 580's the TEC block and CPU (Folding, Benching or demanding games a la BF3). These voltages were on idle with nothing but windows and two browser pages open.

Based on what you are posting, it could be either the MOBO or the PSU. If you have no way of testing the PSU under load, it's going to be hard to determine which it is. Do you have access to another system in which to test the PSU? We have no problem replacing your PSU (link for RMA is on the left) but, ideally you'll isolate the problem before shipping something away for replacement.

One thing you could try is testing it with either 1 or 2 GPUs.

I've tested it under load, and the ET6 gigabyte software is pretty close to the readings every time I've tested it. I've seen it go as low as 11.335v and then crash (within ET6). I have an RMA open, and as soon as I get a new case, I will be transferring the rig with a more powerful PSU. At which point I will send the AX1200 to be tested.

I've individually tested all the 580's and never got a crash. When I put all three under load I get voltage fluctuations in all the voltages (3.3, 5 and 12).

I'm now pretty sure I have a faulty PSU.

Archived