Corsair Community

TwinX1024-3200C2PT - Mobo recommendation for this RAM!

Hoobagooba

Hi, I've been trying - and failing - for months to get my rig stable to no avail. Software crashing, BSOD's etc. etc. My system comprises mainly :- [B]ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe rev. 1.01 mobo [/B] - BIOS 1011 [B]Antec 550Truepower [/B] - upgraded to as power was suggested as a possible issue. [B]Athlon XP 3200+ CPU [/B] [B]Sapphire Radeon 128MB 9800PRO[/B] [B]TWINX1024-3200C2PT RAM [/B] - timings : 6-3-3-2.5T : I can get the Rev. no. later. I'm considering purchasing a new motherboard - as i have read that my board can be particularly picky with RAM, even Corsair stuff. Do you think firstly that there would be a compatibility problem with my motherboard and the RAM that i have? Secondly, if i was to buy a different motherboard which would you recommend, guaranteeing compatibility and stability? I am in the UK. Thanks for any replies. The Gooba :(:

Thanks for the link Wired. I had a good read of the possible solution to this problem on that thread - tried to set my system up in an identical fashion, all seemed well for a few days but then i get home today to a nice welcoming BSOD!! RAM GUY HELP!!! I have the TWINX modules here is all the info. printed on the side of each module : CMX512-3200C2PT XMS3202v3.1 0410099 (I don't know if you need the below info. which was on the warranty void sticker) SCIL - 144781541 Link - 5528 I would greatly appreciate a reply from you RAM GUY as I am at my wits end. Thanks Hoobagooba

• Corsair Employee
The first thing to do would be test the modules one up with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and let's make sure one is not failing! If you get errors with one or both modules I would try and test them on another MB to make sure as I have seen a few issues with this MB, as it seems to be picky with memory in general! If you do find one is failing, then let's get your modules replaced and since you are in the UK I would ask your reseller to help you, if they will not or cannot help you then, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get no errors or errors with both modules I would strongly suggest testing your components on another system to help you isolate the problem!

Thanks RAM guy. I don't think those changes will be necessary but i will try them later. As suggested i ran Memtest v1.11 last night on a single stick in Dimm slot B2 (the one furthest from the CPU) - it had run for 6hrs 30mins with 28 passes when i checked it this morning - no errors at all. Swapped it out with the other stick and set it running - by the time i left for work it had done 4 passes with - you guessed it - no errors at all. Whereas when i was running the RAM in dual channel config. in slots B1 & B2 and ran Memtest previously it was always finding a bunch of errors at the end of Test 5. So it's looking like the RAM is good and my mobo is having problems running memory in dual channel mode. :mad: I'm determined to clear this problem up once and for all and will be running Memtest on the RAM in dual channel (both config's) tonight - i will post back my results to you. Thanks for the help and suggestions RAM Guy. Hoobagooba

Hi RAM Guy, I've been running Memtest86v1.11 for the last few days - trying to go through the different RAM configurations and permutations. My setup is :- Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard Rev. 1.01 BIOS 1011 Athlon XP3200+ CPU Antec Truepower550 PSU Sapphire Radeon 128mb 9800Pro [B]TWINX1024-3200C2PT RAM[/B] Part no. identical on each stick reads - CMX512-3200C2PT XMS3202v3.1 0410099 BIOS Hardware Monitor is reading :- MB Temp. - 34degC (idle) CPU Temp. - 56degC (idle) Vcore Voltage - 1.66v to 1.68v (mainly reading 1.68v)? +3.3v Voltage - 3.24v +5v Voltage - 4.86v +12v Voltage - 11.96v BIOS settings :- CPU Frequency - 200Mhz CPU Frequency Multiple Setting - Menu CPU Frequency Multiple - 11.0x System Performance - User Defined CPU Interface - Optimal (Unchangeable) Memory Frequency - 100% Resulting Frequency - 200Mhz Memory Timings - User Defined SDRAM Active Precharge Delay - 6 SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay - 3 SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay - 3 SDRAM CAS Latency - 2.5T FSB Spread Spectrum - Disabled AGP Spread Spectrum - Disabled CPU Vcore Setting - Menu CPU Vcore - 1.650v Graphics Apperture Size - 128mb AGP Frequency - 66Mhz System BIOS Cacheable - Disabled Video RAM Cacheable - Disabled DDR Reference Voltage - 2.8v (changed from 2.7v for test 5 only) AGP VDDQ Voltage - 1.6v (changed from 1.5v for test 5 only) AGP 8x Support - Enabled AGP Fast Writes - Disabled Marked either stick with X and O respectively to aid testing. List of the tests run so far :- [U]Test 1[/U] Single Channel test. 1 stick at a time in dimm slot B1 (furthest from CPU or 3) Stick X ran for 6hrs 35mins, default test settings with 28 passes, [B]0[/B] errors! Stick O ran for 10hrs 40mins, default test settings with 45 passes, [B]0[/B] errors! I think this means that both sticks are fine - am i right? [U]Test 2[/U] Dual Channel test. Stick X in dimm slot A2 (1) - Stick O in dimm slot B1 (3) Ran test at default settings for 26 minutes - 1 pass - 2731 errors. :eek: 2727 errors in test 5 4 errors in test 6 I only ran this test because i'd heard that RAM in this config. on this board causes major problems. [U]Test 3[/U] Dual Channel test. Stick X in dimm slot A1 (2) - Stick O in dimm slot B1 (3) Ran test at default settings for 26 minutes - 1 pass - 0 errors! :biggrin: [U]Test 4[/U] Dual Channel test. Stick O in dimm slot A1 (2) - Stick X in dimm slot B1 (3) Ran ALL tests for 10hrs 30mins - 1 pass - 1837 errors :bigeyes: 180 errors in test 5 1657 errors in test 8 [U]Test 5[/U] Dual Channel test. Stick X in dimm slot A1 (2) - Stick O in dimm slot B1 (3) ALL tests were nearly completed for a single pass it ran for 4hrs+ - 0 errors. Questions - Do i need to run ALL tests or will the default settings suffice for checking the RAM? Where does this leave me do you think? I read another thread in some forum about having to reinstall Windows after updating the BIOS on this motherboard - sounds like bollox to me but you never know. Anyway, this is the longest post in history - i was wondering what yours or anyones for that matters thoughts were seeing these results. Congratulations to you if you read this far ;): Cheers Hoobagooba

• Corsair Employee
First off; thank you for posting your results, I think it will help others who might have questions! In addition, this MB seems to be rather picky with memory and while it will O.C. well wit these modules at a Cass 3 setting in our lab we have not seem this MB able to run tight timings like we did with the Non -E Version of the MB!

• 2 weeks later...
Ram Guy, Still having problems with this RAM. Mainly that i can run Memtest on each stick forever and get no errors but if i run them in dual channel config. (which is why i got a matched pair) in my mobo Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe - all info. in earlier part of thread - i CANNOT get the machine Prime95 stable in dual channel mode and after retesting in the same dual channel config. as i had with no errors mentioned earlier - during the FULL test i get errors in test 8. This memory is quoted on the Corsair website's compatibility chart for my motherboard. The issue isn't heat or the CPU as i ran Prime95 for 12hours solid - no errors - on 1 stick in dimm slot 3. I haven't tested the other stick because i'm certain i'll have the same end result - it seems to me that this motherboard memory configuration have problems with each other in dual channel mode - which is unfortunately the main reason i bought a matched pair!! What do i do next?? If i have to RMA it back to yourselves in the U.S. i'm going to have to buy myself a single stick of generic RAM in the meantime to tide me over. HELP! The Gooba

• Corsair Employee
We will be happy to replace the modules for you, but I would maybe try and test them in another MB if possible. In addition, I would make sure that you have the [URL=ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-e/1012_E.zip]latest bios 1.012E[/URL], after you flash it turn off the system and remove the battery and set the CLRTC jumper to clear the bios and then install the modules in slots 2-3 and then put the CLRTC jumper and batter back and plug it back in and enter the bios setup and load setup defaults! Then set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the AGP voltage to 1.6 Volts and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and test with [url]www.memtest.org[/url]

Archived