Corsair Community

H60 Pump in 4 pin stopped noise

coldfire1

The infamous h60 noise. What crap eh? Anyways this is my story, of how I have "fixed" the noise.

SUMMARY:

Get second H60, no noise pretty much at first. Noise gradually becomes constant and unbearable. I switch from 3pin power fan connector to 4pin chassis fan connector and noise goes away.

My Question:

Is it okay to connect pump to 4pin chassis fan connector? Should I just return this hard to work with cooler and get the h80?

Complete story:

First is first. I had an h60 that was making a loud pump noise, I tried it all and ended up returning it.

I receive my second H60, I set it up and I get a noise but not as bad as before. I tap give a hard tap and then it is good. 3 days later I turn on my PC and the noise is back. I restart my computer and it stops. I then have an issue where I have to turn on my computer, have the noise, restart the computer and the noise leaves. It was very strange, I still can't explain it.

A couple more days pass and the noise is back and louder than ever. I try to restart it, but nothing. The noise would randomly stop for 5 seconds and then come back. Without me doing anything. I tap on the pump, noise leaves for 5 seconds and its back.

At this point I am ready to try and figure out why the noise came back. I decide to try a different power source, I move from a 3pin power fan connector to a 4pin chassis power fan connector. and on my first go the noise is gone. I restart and still gone. It looks stable for now.

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard

UPDATE:

Turns out the only reason why the noise went away is because the pump RPM was around 1666RPM according to HWMonitor. My motherboard has Chassis fan control and it was set on. Once I turned it off 10 minutes later noise came back.

My RPM range now is 4179-4218 according to HW monitor.

Here where my steps:

I wanted to see what the RPM speed was so I look and it was low. I read that it is bad to have it under powered. I decide to hook it back to the 3 pin and the noise doesn't come back for a full 10 minutes. It comes back just as loud. I then decide to plug it back into the 4pin with fan control on. Noise is gone. I am happy. I decide to turn off fan control to see what happens, 10 minutes later loud pump...

What do I do? Return?

UPDATE:

What do I do? Return?

Return and risk getting another one the same, some people have gone through many before they get a good one OR you get a fan controller (or use bios) and turn it down slightly, as you've noted, the noise goes away at lower power (rpm's) and doesn't seem to massively affect cooling ability....

Return and risk getting another one the same, some people have gone through many before they get a good one OR you get a fan controller (or use bios) and turn it down slightly, as you've noted, the noise goes away at lower power (rpm's) and doesn't seem to massively affect cooling ability....

Is the H80 better in term of possibility of having a good pump?

Is the H80 better in term of possibility of having a good pump?

I am really interested in this...

Update:

I tried a couple of things just now and found something interesting.

I laid the computer on its side so that the cover of the pump would be pointing up and the noise goes away completely. I leave it on its side for 3 hours and then slowly begin to place it up right. 5 seconds later the noise is back.

I decide to remove the cover on the pump. I decide I want to put pressure on the middle of the pump with a screw driver and the noise vanished. After doing many different methods I noticed that it was the not the pressure forced on the pump but the fact that the there was magnetized metal dead center and off to one of the sides.

It was unbelievable. I do not know what it means but the fact that I had the screw driver with a magnetized tip placed in a couple of certain areas in the middle of the pump the noise was gone.

I am really interested in this...

Update:

I tried a couple of things just now and found something interesting.

I laid the computer on its side so that the cover of the pump would be pointing up and the noise goes away completely. I leave it on its side for 3 hours and then slowly begin to place it up right. 5 seconds later the noise is back.

I decide to remove the cover on the pump. I decide I want to put pressure on the middle of the pump with a screw driver and the noise vanished. After doing many different methods I noticed that it was the not the pressure forced on the pump but the fact that the there was magnetized metal dead center and off to one of the sides.

It was unbelievable. I do not know what it means but the fact that I had the screw driver with a magnetized tip placed in a couple of certain areas in the middle of the pump the noise was gone.

I can't answer about the H80, but what you found is very interesting and what others have suspected, it's not the pump making the noise, but rather vibration inside of the block.... Mine also goes pretty much silent when laid flat (PC on its side).

H60, H80, H100 - the same pump.

As for the magnetized tip, I've already seen a guy who taped a magnet to hid unit and that stopped the noise. I also advised that to some people that contacted me about the noisy units, but nobody seems to have any magnets these days ;)

H60, H80, H100 - the same pump.

As for the magnetized tip, I've already seen a guy who taped a magnet to hid unit and that stopped the noise. I also advised that to some people that contacted me about the noisy units, but nobody seems to have any magnets these days ;)

I had a small, but powerful magnet and it didn't work. I couldn't find the right spot. The magnet on a screw driver is a lot less powerful.

I ordered my unit on Amazon and they have one of the best replacement policies. I am going to keep playing with unit and look for a solution. Its fun :)

Anyone know how to reduce Power Fan Speed on Asus p8z68?

Does anyone think that a "56 Ohm Resistor Connector" would be too much?

No, it will not be enough.

For I1 = 500mA you'd get only about 0,28V less, for I2 = 1A, you'd get 0,56V less which would still not be enough.

A resistor isn't a good idea at all, because it converts the energy to heat.

Use a diode instead, you'll find a guide in the H100 pump noise thread.

A resistor isn't a good idea at all, because it converts the energy to heat.

Use a diode instead, you'll find a guid in the H100 pump noise thread.

Yes indeed, I've used one of those resistor fan speed reducing adapters (on a fan), and although the resistor was a 3 - 5 Watt part, it became surprisingly warm immediately. While they will work, it's not the best solution. Unless you can calculate the optimal resistance for that circuit, using one with a random value resistor designed for a fan will not provide an optimal result.

The series diode method, with an appropriate diode, is far superior in every way.

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone cares. I decided to exchange it to amazon. Amazon doesn't exchange an item more than once so they refunded me.

I ended up buying from newegg. I have had the item for a week with no issues and no noise.

Possibilities: Some retailers have bad batches so when you return it to them you might receive another one from the "bad batch"

Order from another retailer.

Good to see the new one is working

Just curious which way is your radiator? Pipes at the top or bottom?

First unit (w/ noise) - Pipes top then switched to pipes bottom still had noise.

Second unit (w/ noise) - Pipes bottom noise from the start, tapped it noise went away but progressively because noisy

Third unit (no noise) - Pipes bottom too scared to even touch it :)

Archived