Corsair Community

Can't format disk under XP (SSD Force3 120)

lupser

Hi together,

I tried to bring my old P4 to a new level, but maybe I wasted money?

Her my efforts so far:

- buying WIN7 32, a Logilink PCI-SATA card (PC0005A) and a SSD

- trying to install WIN7 to the SSD not possible, because device is not bootable

->made SCSI to my first boot device before and the card shows the SSD until WIN7 installation/setup screen...

- installed the SSD into my Laptop ACER Travelmate to ensure disk is OK

->installed WIN7 in 20 Minutes

- tried to use the SSD as additional disk under XP in the P4 also not possible

->can create partitions, but formatting always ends in an error message...

- changed to a shorter SATA cable... no success

no idea anymore...

Invest in a second PCI-SATA controller? Under XP the system information says, controller is OK and the SSD is shown...

Anybody else with good ideas? :-)

Regards Joachim

waste of $$$. that card is under performing from the start, and sounds like your board doesn't like it to begin with. i take it you are using an ata ide only system? other manufacturers make ata ide ssds, so you would have much better luck going that route. do not use xp to format the drive. you would use win7 repair options if you just want xp, to align and partition, and use the 'quick' format option within xp, so you don't destroy the aligned partition. you may have had to set your bios to boot from 'other devices', or your board bios has limited rom space for another boot rom other than the existing on board storage option.

waste of $$$. that card is under performing from the start, and sounds like your board doesn't like it to begin with. i take it you are using an ata ide only system? other manufacturers make ata ide ssds, so you would have much better luck going that route. do not use xp to format the drive. you would use win7 repair options if you just want xp, to align and partition, and use the 'quick' format option within xp, so you don't destroy the aligned partition. you may have had to set your bios to boot from 'other devices', or your board bios has limited rom space for another boot rom other than the existing on board storage option.

OK, I know this is not the way to use best performance of an SSD, but I was

impressed by

'quick format' was always ending in an error, so i tried full format, but same message at 99%. I was setting BIOS to SCSI as first device, like desribed in the controller card manual. Second option in BIOS was 'other device'.

What means your last sentence? I'm not an expert and now my idea was to order a Digitus DS-33101 as next test, because of positive feedback for the same use, from different buyers. This card has an own BIOS. The SSD seems to be OK, because of my notebook test.

My system is ATA/IDE only with a southbridge with SATA support, but no connectors onboard MIS-MS7048. I know, that the SSD is running with maximum 100MB/sec, but this is more than my IDE drive and the access time is much better.

Archived