Corsair Community

gak8ns pro

Jezus

Ok I got this new motherboard and a new athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754) and i tried gettinig them to run today. However the OS refuses to load. The only similiar problem I found was at amd.com support forums and it was the ram. My RAM is corsair XMS pc 2700 with the black heatspreaders. However, its not new RAM, it was bought around jan 2002 from newegg.com, which means it was probably made in 2001. Ive tried 1 stick (its 2x256mb) in all 3 slots and two stick in different slots. No go. This board is compatible with pc2700 memory, but is this memory reall pc2700? I think I bought it in the very early days of pc2700 and I think its really just an agressively clocked version of a lower speed rendering it completely incompatible with my board. I also see after reading through the forums for a few minutes that it seems like a lot of people are having problems with corsair and the new AMD boards. This stuff has a lifetime warranty right? Anything I can do besides buy more mem of a diff brand? Any suggestions at all? Thx

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the exact part# of our modules, and when you say it will not load, can you be more specific? Will it boot and let you into the Bios, but just not load windows? Or it will not post and you get no Video? Also have you tried other memory in this system to make sure it's not the system? In addition, have you had these in another working system or where did they come from?

I could tell you the part number, but it doesnt matter anymore and theyre now installed in my wifes computer. The problem was the HDD. Which also worked fine in the old computer. I did try the memory stick from my wifes computer and got the same thing, but it was pc2700 and Id never heard of Infineon brand. So I figured that could still be the problem. Went and got some pc3200 today and got the same problem..."error loading operating system." It would let me in the bios and everything. Just would not load windows. All of these parts were from a working system. The Corsair RAM, and the ?faulty? HDD. I plugged my 250 gig and formatted the first partition, and windows loaded perfectly. Like I said this HDD and RAM were BOTH working in the old system so I didnt even think to check the HDD. The only other problem I could find like mine the RAM was the cause, so I came here. If youre interested the HDD is a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 60 7200RPM Model #5t060h6. I am assuming it's still good, but will try it in my wifes computer tomorrow to make sure. This HDD is older than anything else that came from the working system I had, maybe it's too slow xfer speed wise. Im not too up on HDD terminology but it might be the 66 type instead of 100 or 133. Thx for trying to help. Hope all this info can help someone else.

[quote name='Jezus']Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 60 7200RPM Model #5t060h6[/QUOTE] [URL=http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=5d2b41d3cef51dfe29dd10a191346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support/Product%20Support/ATA%20Hard%20Drives/Desktop/DiamondMax%20Plus%2060%20Ultra%20ATA%20100]DiamondMax Plus 60 Ultra ATA 100[/URL] [QUOTE]Maximum Capacity of 60.5 GB Fast ATA/Enhanced IDE compatible Digital Signal Processor (DSP)-Based Architecture Ultra ATA/100 Data Transfer Rate 2 MB SDRAM Cache Buffer < 8.7 ms Seek Time[/QUOTE] Probably want to download their diag tools and check the drive.

Well it works in her computer, at least as the slave. I'll break out the diagnostic tools later. Still putting all my software back on this one. She's got my Corsair RAM now too. I went and got some Kingston PC3200.

Archived