Corsair Community

HP 8540w and CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9 compatibility?

ChrilleBerg

According to HP, units with quad core processors can support up to 16 gig's as long as the chasis has four memory slots, and only 8 gigs with two slots.

Also your model will only support 4gig modules max and not be able to use 8 gig modules. 16 gigs would have to be 4x4gig kit

I copied this from the HP site for your notebook and here's a link to the information.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02196457/c02196457.pdf

Memory: Four customer-accessible/upgradeable

memory module slots supporting up to 16 GB

of RAM in models that use quad-core

processors

√ √

Two customer-accessible/upgradeable memory

module slots supporting up to 8 GB of RAM in

models that use dual-core processors

√ √

Supports dual-channel memory √ √

PC3-10600, 1333-MHz, DDR3 √ √

Supports the following configurations:

● 16684 (4096 × 4)

● 12288 (4096 × 2) + (2048 × 2)

● 8192 (2048 × 4)

● 8192 (4096 × 2)

● 4096 (2048 × 2)

● 4096 (4096 × 1)

● 2048 (2048 × 1)

ok, but that was written in April 2010...did 8GB mem modules even exist then?

No, they did not exist then. But,unless there was a BIOS update for your laptop that would allow the use of 8gig modules, then it appears that you are going to be limited to 8 gig based on chasis type.

Since you system does not apear on the memory finder, I would contact HP to see if they have one, or if 8 gig modules will even work.

I was able to locate 2 BIOS updates dated March and September of last year, but neither addressed "increases memory compatibility" or did not mention anything about the use of 8 gig modules.

• 3 months later...

Digging up an old thread, but I'm facing the exact same thing.

According to HP quickspecs as of September 29, 2011; it supports 8GB modules. This is the Canadian version I see now; but it seems odd that they'd support different memory modules, as everything inside seems to be the same.

Link to Quickspec

I actually bought the modules, and they come up correctly in BIOS; but Windows halts while loading.

So this is my fault I guess?

Did you find a solution ChrilleBerg?

Archived