Corsair Community

H60 My experience to date..Phenom to FX

voipboy

Like many others I bought a H60 (or equivalent) to get away from the awkward and large air cooling units required to sufficiently cool the latest chips....expecially when overclocking.

My Rig

Fractal Design R3 Case

Corsair TX750 PSU

XFX HD 6870 BE GPU

MSI 990FXA-GD80 Mobo

FX6100 O/C'd a little to 4.2GHZ (very stable)

Corsair H60 - Push / Pull with 2 x Akasa Apache fans

Corsair Vengeance 16GB

Asus Xonar Soundcard

Corsair CMXAF2 Memory cooler

My old Phenom X4 was running at 3.8GHZ so overclocked a little and sat at 28 degrees on idle, hitting around 48 degrees with games such as COD.

I swapped to an FX chip....ya ya ya heard all the jokes....but in fairness I am actually still a fan. Overclocked a little at 4.2GHZ it runs like a dream so I am certainly not going to complain.

Idle temps are now higher (probably due to the increase voltage for the overclock) at 31 - 33 derees which I think are still quite respectable and on load still does not exceed 50 degrees even after an hour of Dirt3. Ambient temp in my room here is 25 degrees

Im not sure if using two Corsair fans would gain me any siginificantly better cooling or not - I have read of some people with very very low idle temps (though I do question some of them!)

I would be interested to hear from owners of the H100 as Im also not sure if its a worthwhile upgrade...to be fair my box has 2 x FD 120MM intakes (Front), 2 x FD 140MM exhausts (Roof), 2 x Akasa Apache 140mm intakes (Bottom and Side) and its still quiet!

The only other issue I had when fitting was the pipes that attach to the CPU block dont fit very well and push against the ram....a bit more of a problem also with the cooler attached but finally managed to sit it all OK.

Never had any issues with pump noise etc so my verdict is a big thumbs up!

I wish I had the experience. I wanted to use the H60 alot is really nice looking and it has such a small foot print inside your case. But for me I went threw 4 of them. All with the dam pump noise grinding away. Finally I just gave up and went back to air cooling.

OP - I wouldn't say switching to H100 makes sense for you. Maybe few less degrees in stress but nothing really justifying the cost. You would have to invest in a serious WC like the Rasa 750 RS240 to make it worthwhile.

falcon26 - have you tried any of the methods posted in H100 Pump noise thread?

• 3 weeks later...

Voipboy, I have an almost identical system to yours (Specs below) crammed into a HTPC case too, I just fitted a coolingworks UV blue 120mm fan shroud and it actually dropped the temp by almost 5 degrees (celcius)

I am looking into modding the hoses, fitting an XSPC reservoir & change the thermal paste to IC Diamond which will surely drop the temp down a bit more too

I am not a big gamer but I also play DIRT3 too, What a coincidence!

Falcon26, I also had some noise coming from the H60 CPU block/pump at full speed but lowered the volts/speed and it is now pretty much silent, Did you try lowering the speed/volts?

MSI 990FXA-GD80 BIOS V11.8 : MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC : AMD FX-6100 RUNNING @ 18x 3600MHz: CORSAIR H60 COOLER : CORSAIR GT 60GB SSD : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 4x4GB : SILVERSTONE LC13B-E : LOGITECH MK550 : LOGITECH C210 CAM : LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE GT STEERING WHEEL connected to a Pioneer VSX-521-K via SPDIF (Awesome Surround sound) and 42" LED TV

This was before the H60 install>

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/HTPC_TEC/MSI%20990FXA-GD80%20SILVERSTONE%20LC13B-E%20BUILD/MSI990FXA-GD80550GTX-OCFX-61002.jpg

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/HTPC_TEC/MSI%20990FXA-GD80%20SILVERSTONE%20LC13B-E%20BUILD/MSI990FXA-GD80550GTX-OCFX-6100SIDE.jpg

voipboy

If its working dont touch it. I moved from H50 thro 'H70.H70's thicker radiator was a difficult to clean. Had to keep blowing from both sides to get rid off the dust. H100 being a longer and thinner radiator has more specific area to improve cooling and easier to clean.

Archived