Corsair Community

Force 3 GT 480 Slow Performance?

Hello,

Looks like I am not getting the expected performance from my new SSD.

I have a Corsair Force 3 GT 480GB

I am expecting ~545 MB/s read and ~490 MB/s write

I am seeing about ~300 MB/s read.

This looks to me like it is performing as a SATA 2.

System:

i7-3960X, ASUS Rampage IV, Gskill F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZMD ( 16 GB ), SLI-3way EVGA GTX580, Corsair AX1200 PSU, Corsair H100

On the ASMedia SATA 6.0 Gb/s: (AHCI enabled [bIOS & Win7], Asmedia storage controller enabled )

- SATA6G_E1: Corsair Force 3 GT

- SATA6G_R2: ASUS Blu-ray writer (BW-12B1ST) <- Not SATA 3

On the Intel X79 SATA: (RAID 10)

- SATA3G_1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB

- SATA3G_2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB

- SATA3G_3: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB

- SATA3G_4: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB

As you can see I have AHCI enabled in both the BIOS and Win7. The SSD is using a SATA3 cable.

The only thing I can think of is that the Blu-ray is on the same controler but since it is not SATA3 it degrages the bus?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thank you in advance.

ATTO-Bench-Force3GT-Before.jpg.ea01ee1a58d57a63257e244a5ce05e35.jpg

1815137037_HDTune2.55-ForceGT3Performace-Before.jpg.0814e6f0604326cbcfef642587204541.jpg

Why are you using the Asmedia SATA controller? I'm sure you would have better performance using the Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports.

I know you have the Intel SATA controller set to RAID mode, but you can use your Force 3 on the Intel's 6Gb/s ports just fine. RAID mode has all the features of AHCI, and with Intel chipsets uses the same driver for RAID or AHCI. If you are worried about no TRIM with SSDs in RAID mode, that only applies to SSDs that are part of a RAID volume, like RAID 0, RAID 1, etc. Single, non-RAID volume SSDs connected to an Intel SATA controller in RAID mode will receive the TRIM command from Windows just fine.

I am not aware of one SATA chipset made by another manufacture, with the exception of AMD, whose SATA 6Gb/s interface is equal to Intel's. If any of them were, it would be big news in the PC hardware review web sites. They all have lower performance, the Marvell chipsets being very infamous in that way. The ASmedia chipset is relatively unknown in this area, but seems to be yet another under-performing SATA III chipset.

Your BluRay optical disk drive has nothing to do with this issue. You can easily test that by simply disconnecting it and then testing your SSD. All optical disk drives operate at SATA I speed, 1.5Gb/s, so can be used on a SATA II port, or you can keep it on the ASmedia chipset.

You really need to try your SSD on the Intel SATA 6Gb/s connection, which is the only way you'll get the full performance from your SSD.

Archived