Corsair Community

A long lasting gaming and multipurpose rig?

The below is parts I've picked from the various half (to about a) dozen threads I've started.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99)
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 93.7 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99) [Please change to something with UEFI support]
  • Memory: ******** Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99)
  • Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99)
  • Hard Drive: ******** Chronos 180GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($197.03)
  • Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($469.99)
  • Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.98)
  • Power Supply: ######## 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($98.99)
  • Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23)

Total: $1497.17

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

(Generated 2012-03-23 17:55 EDT-0400)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3800+ (dual core) @ 2 GHZ

RAM: DDR2 - 3 GB

HD 250 GB connected by ATA

Motherboard: Asus A8N-BR (Pyrite)

GPU: Nvidia gForce 6150 LE (I think)

Misc: This computer is a HP slimline (s7700n)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what I wanted in a new system:

Hardware

- USB 2.0 speeds that are minimum of 30 MB a second

- USB 3.0 speeds that are at lest 300+ MB/s [i will get / use an SSD]

- Firewire (and or eSata port) --- because I have a external hardrive that has both along with USB

- At lest a solid terabyte (1.5 TB)

- Has either a VGA or DVI port (current monitor I have has both)

- Also has support for HDMI (for the future monitor)

- Multicard reader (although I mainly need SD and Memory Pro Stick Duo)

- Able to use a PS3 controller AND A XBOX 360 controller (yes I know 360 is native support . . .)

- I would like a quad core.

- Multiple internal DVD drives - one blu-ray drive (watch movies, burn backups)

- Plenty of 3.5/5.25 drive bays . . .

Software

- Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) (Main OS) -- Mostly for languages

- Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (if needed)

- Windows XP (if 64 bit won't run some of the games I have) (if needed)

- Folding@home (although I use my PS3 for that when I'm not using it)

- Able to run most games from DOS era on, probably high settings

Gaming Software:

- Will use steam:

-- Elder Scrolls

-- Portal 1 & 2

-- Batman Arkham (Asylum/City)

-- Sonic Generations

-- Quake

-- Wolfenstein (3D)

-- Commander keen

-- Bioshock (1/2)

- L.A. Noire

and others

- Will use CD/DVD's of the games I have:

-- Warcraft 2 - Tides of Darkness & Beyond the Dark Portal

-- Warcraft 3 - Reign of Chaos & Frozen Throne

-- Diablo 1 - 3 (when it comes out)

-- The Sims 1 - And all expansions

-- The Sims 2 (probably)

-- Simcity 4000 & Rushhour

- May use emulation (to run up to the PS2/Wii)

Other Thoughts

- Eventually a dual monitor setup.

- Budget - Within about $1200 - $1500 dollars

- I will wait for some parts (hard drives, GPU, etc) to drop in price.

- I don't need the absolute latest but this system should still be update-able in years to come.

- Will eventually most likely want 16, 32 or more GB of RAM.

- I WANT UEFI, NOT regular old BIOS (that this slimline has)

I am grateful for input . . .

If your using the SSD for the OS, go smaller, if not, that should do

The power supply, i feel if you want to maybe one day go for SLI, go bigger, but thats your call

Other then that, looks like a solid build to me, my 2500k does me the world and more when it comes to performance, in my experience, 8GB of ram is plenty and does the job, no experience with that cooler, and i have 2 SSD in raid0 for games (mass effect 3 loading screens are non existant) plus a SSD for boot and a 2TB for storage so that might help you with your situation

ask if you wanna know more! cheers!

Some steam games will most likely have long load times, the SSD should be a lot quicker than the 2 TB hard drive. As for a different PSU - one of the earlier builds had a 800 watt PSU, 2 - 3 GB of VRAM (from 64 MB!) should be plenty for me.

This slimline can basically only play games pre 2005 except for like Bejeweled 2/3, Peggle, and a few other non graphical games. Even though it is a somewhat silly benchmark - the Windows Experience Index for this system is WEAK as crap --(see image) :bigeyes:

The internal space inside this slimline is hardly big at all.

WEI.jpg.4f8f190b129ba8a958a8a5059615dbdc.jpg

It is a fast card but personally I don't think a 7950 is worth 470$. Not when you can save 100$ and get a 7870 which is almost as fast and takes less power.

Just out of curiosity why do you want 16/32Gb RAM in future, you don't seem to be doing anything that would warrant that.

There is a large difference between a 7950 and 7870. Maxing bf3 or crysis 2 will b a lot more of a struggle and necessity to overclock with a 7870. 7950 will do it butter smooth. 7950 is slightly faster than a 580 and a 7870 is slightly slower. I have a 580 and it will not max bf3 without severe dips in caspian and b2k maps. Yes it should be priced around 400-420 imo, but for $50 is it worth waiting for it. 7870 is less bang for the buck imo the 256 bit 2gb will show its age in some extreme dx11 titles coming in the next little while.

Ok you may have a point,

But for instance check the below link, a factory overclocked 7870 beating a stock 7950 (or at least matching it). This won't always be the case but still a noteworthy result for a card that is significantly cheaper.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4614/his_radeon_hd_7870_iceq_turbo_overclocked_video_card_review/index14.html

IMO if he needs a faster card he should buy a 7970 or a GTX680.

I doubt I'll be playing either crysis or battlefield - although when someone I know comes over they may play crysis. Also this slimline has up to 128 MB of Vram. 3 - 9 GB (crossfire, if needed) should be PLENTY for a while.

yeah, also, you cant always compensate.

dont think you need to buy the best of the best of everything.

i have 2 gtx260's, one was a gift and one i bought used and i run everyhing that i like to play, up to ME3 being the most recent and i have no issues, sure i cant run crysis on the best settings, but i can still play it im sure

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a few changes - I've posted a few more threads along with removing my second SSD (for the moment, and getting I7 and a better GPU):

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99)

Motherboard: MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($102.98)

Memory: ******** 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($99.99)

Hard Drive: ******** 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($507.55)

Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99)

Power Supply: ******** 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($145.98)

Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($20.98)

Total: $1555.43

There were some other builds on that site that were up to 13,000 and I am not joking. About 5 3 TB drives, few 7970, few 680's. Several monitors, overkill memeory. Jezz

32 GB is completely overkill for a gaming rig, even when thinking about future proofing.

Also, unless you're playing anything with a 30" monitor, that video card's overkill as well. You'd be better off buying a cheaper video card and upgrading it in two years.

Not overkill, a 680 will struggle to max out bf3, or Metro 2033 and u can almost gaurantee as soon as you say "hmmm, I dont need that much power" a game will come out that you do lol. I would drop to 16gb of 1600mhz ram tho, not much out there thats gonna even touch 16gb. Gaming wont touch that anytime remotely soon. In bf3, even my 7950s drop in the 70sfps quite often @1080p maxed out, only in caspian or gulf of omen conquest tho. Mainly because my cpu bottlenecks a bit, in tdm im constant 90+ tho. Cant wait for ivy bridge. Also I would switch to the asrock extreme3 gen3. About 120 on newegg and I've seen some ssd benchmarks on that msi board showing it only getting 300mb/s read write on drives rated for 500+. Plus that board is VERY VERY weak looking, no heatsink on board, extreme3 gen3 seams like an obvious choice, 2 of my buddies and I have it and it works very well. Your not buying the "k" cpu to stick it on a board that wont handle the overclock. Get Corsair psu as well, 750watt min in case you ever want to sli another 680.

Archived