Corsair Community

Front USB 3.0 ports on Carbide 400R case

Eldon1941

I just built a new system and I chose the Corsair Carbide series 400R case and the Corsair GS700 power supply. It took about a day to complete the system. Everything went very well except when I tried to use the two front USB 3.0 ports. I tried four different external devices. Two were USB 2.0 HDD and two were USB 3.0 HDD. Both of the USB 2.0 HDD worked very well in the two front USB 3.0 ports but neither of the two USB 3.0 HDD worked in either of the two front USB 3.0 ports. Fortunately, I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 mobo which has two USB 3.0 internal ports and two external ports on the rear panel of the mobo. I tried the two USB 3.0 external HDD in the two rear USB 3.0 ports (on the rear panel of the mobo) and both drives worked perfectly. It seems obvious to me that the two front USB 3.0 ports are defective. Has anyone else had this problem with the 400R case? I sent an email to support a couple of days ago and have not heard from them.

Eldon

This has been already discussed here, I have the same problem on all 600T cases that passed my hands, including my own, someone had the same problem with 800D and some other Corsair case was mentioned too.

RAM_GUY said that you should install some driver for it, but that doesn't make sense as the extension for front panel isn't recognized as any device, as this is just a piece of cable as far as I can tell. I tried to find the supposed device but I could not.

I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to install a driver to cure this problem. I suspect that this is a physical problem with the extra pins that are suppose to be on a USB 3.0 connection that a USB 2.0 connection doesn't have.

Eldon

Windows 7 does not have inbuilt USB 3.0 Drivers, Which means you need to install the USB 3.0 drivers from the motherboard's downloads area. As the USB 3.0 drive may not be detected as a drive.

I may be wrong but the USB ports at the back of the motherboard are connected to the southbridge, not the separate USB 3.0 controller for the internal port.

-Try installing the USB 3.0 driver and try plugging the USB 3.0 drives in the front panel.

Toasted - It's not about controller drivers.

600T have external USB3.0 connector that plugs into rear I/O panel. The same HDD that works in the rear USB 3.0 port does not work when connected to the front USB 3.0 port (that is then connected to the very same rear USB 3.0 port).

I tried that on AMD motherboard that has all USB 3.0 by 3rd party (NEC) and on Intel Z68 and in both cases rear I/O works, front panel doesn't.

Controller drivers are for the Internal USB 3.0 ports.

Since the 600T uses the Rear I/O USB ports, There is no driver needed.

-It sounds like a power issue, probably the port is not providing enough power to the front panel connector.

You can check it via Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>Right click "USB Root Hub"> Properties >Power.

Repeat it until you find the USB 3.0 ports.

Then plug in your USB 3.0 device in the front panel and see if the HD is detected on the List and see how much power is required to use it.

Note: For USB 2.0 the total power available is 500mA, USB 3.0 would be a higher.

I had installed all of the drivers from the mobo driver DVD. This included the USB 3.0 driver v. 105. I then updated the USB 3.0 driver to the most recent version. All of this was done before I wrote my initial message to this board. Trust me when I say that this is not a driver problem.

I heard back from tech support last night and they have sent me a replacement for the front I/O panel.

Archived