Corsair Community

Hydrocool 2000 Problem

I bought my Hydrocool in January of this year from Newegg.com. It has been working quite well. The past month or so I have been having a problem with the digital readout on the front of the machine. At times it is completely black and unresponsive to pressing the turbo button. There is no reading at all. SAometimes I hear it beep and it goes through the self test and then I can read it or sometimes it then goes black again. Not sure why this is happening and how bad this might be... Any ideas and suggestions to ensure that it is working properly? I've triple checked all connections and things are fine, I have a 420 Watt power supply and that should be more than enough power. I'm stumped as to why this happens and am concerned it may be telling me it's about to fail. Thanks for any help you can give.

I had a similar issue (the thread is around somewhere!!) and found that if I used a molex splitter to power my vid card and the HC, as soon as i used some heavy duty graphics the HC would go nuts. Try having the HC as the only thing on one of your power cables and see how you go with that. Marz.

[quote name='Avatar137'] I have a 420 Watt power supply and that should be more than enough power. I'm stumped as to why this happens and am concerned it may be telling me it's about to fail. Thanks for any help you can give.[/QUOTE] Yes maybe but PS are not equally same amps as per leads, change the leads around an test till is stable. if not add a 200uFD 50v eletrolytic cap for yellow/black 12v (the stripe is negitive goes to black) an for 5v 470uFD 10v eletrolytic red/black to the 4 pole extenion lead

Marz, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look inside and see if I had changed things around that would do that. Makes sense to me. Kapt., that sounds a little beyond my experience and knowledge. I'll try out what Marz suggested first and see how that goes before I querry you further. :) Thanks for the ideas!

[quote name='Marz']Excellent!!! I think that this should be something that Corsair should put in a FAQ or an updated user manual. And maybe a sticky...[/QUOTE] I totally agree! You would think it would be there already if others have encountered this before... Just so you know, I still have had no problem so insufficient power was definitely what was going on. I had visions of having to send this in for repair, glad it was something very simple. Thanks again for the help!

[quote name='Avatar137']I totally agree! You would think it would be there already if others have encountered this before... Just so you know, I still have had no problem so insufficient power was definitely what was going on. I had visions of having to send this in for repair, glad it was something very simple. Thanks again for the help![/QUOTE] Between the fan and the pump, the HC200 should not draw more than about 20W. The display should work all the time ... I've never seen otherwise except for a board or LED failure. Unless you have some sort of custom hook-up, it should work OK right out of the box. If not, I'd RMA Corsair for a return replacement. KK

[quote name='Kooler King']Between the fan and the pump, the HC200 should not draw more than about 20W. The display should work all the time ... I've never seen otherwise except for a board or LED failure. Unless you have some sort of custom hook-up, it should work OK right out of the box. If not, I'd RMA Corsair for a return replacement. KK[/QUOTE] KK, I don't think it's a problem with the HC, more a problem with another device that is daisy chained off the same PS cable that the HC uses. I can reproduce the same problem at will on my system. I just daisy chain the HC and the 9800 Pro off the same PS cable and fire up Far Cry or any graphics intensive prog and the HC just goes nut's.... It's more a case of power being taken away from the HC. Marz.

[quote name='Marz']KK, I don't think it's a problem with the HC, more a problem with another device that is daisy chained off the same PS cable that the HC uses. I can reproduce the same problem at will on my system. I just daisy chain the HC and the 9800 Pro off the same PS cable and fire up Far Cry or any graphics intensive prog and the HC just goes nut's.... It's more a case of power being taken away from the HC. [/QUOTE] Exactly! That was the same thing for me. I had switched things around before (probably when I bought my 9800XT) and during certain times of gaming it would randomly "reset" itself or the display would simply just disappear. Marz is right on the money with this one. S!

Archived