Corsair Community

AX 1200 fan noise and question about RMA/exchange

kgk

Just a question about whether to handle this with my reseller or through an RMA.

I purchased an AX1200 for a new system since my HX1000 performed so well for the last few years (after an exchange), and the AX1200 seemed to get rave reviews from JohnnyGuru and Newegg. I'm in the process of piecing together a tri-SLI build, and ran into something weird.

I always paperclip test any new PSUs just to make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary noise-wise and to make sure it starts up, etc. When I did this with the AX1200 I noticed that the thing is pretty loud for a PSU. I mean loud to the point where to make sure it wasn't just me (I try to run quiet PCs), I took my HX1000 out of another computer, set them side by side and did a paperclip test to check the noise levels. The AX1200 is quite a bit louder, with the fan producing an almost "whining" noise that's high-pitched. It's difficult for me to describe but it's like a high-pitched grinding almost. And it is definitely a result of the fan because if I take a Q-Tip and stop the fan the noise disappears and then reappears the instant the fan restarts. There's a very, very faint buzzing from the PSU itself when the fan is stopped (which can really only be heard by placing your ear up to the back of it) but I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. The noise the fan makes though when it's initialized and running faaaaaaaar outshadows that very faint buzzing from the PSU. The noise even oscillates somewhat in frequency. Is this noise a result from the fan itself or some internal component that delivers the power to the fan?

I did a replacement exchange with my reseller (Caseking.de) and they gave me free shipping to exchange it and were pretty quick with it, zero hassle, etc.

Today I received my replacement from them and the fan actually (I didn't think it was possible) seems louder than the one I sent back to replace. I wrote down the serial number of the original before I sent it back and it started with 171636. The replacement I got today starts with 176000. So I assume it's from a newer batch.

After Googling for quite a bit it seems like a pretty prevalent issue with the AX1200 that the fan seems to be quite loud. I have the replacement sitting next to my watercooled rig that's in my specs and the fan noise is louder than the HX1000 that's powering an actual system, plus water pump and fans. On one forum post (I'm trying to find it again) where one of your reps "Redbeard" maintains a presence he states "Our internal testing showed the AX1200 to be quieter than the HX1000".

Neither of the AX1200 units I have received even approach the dB levels you show in your graphs nor can the fans even remotely be described (and I quote from your manual): "....ultra-quiet double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level...."

I'm not calling your marketing an outright lie but an ultra-quiet fan that delivers excellent airflow (to me) is something like a BlackSilentPro PK2 or PK3. Those are quiet 140mm fans with good airflow. The Yate Loon you guys use sounds like a grindy turbine. And the issue seems to be quite prevalent (even accounting for the microcosm that is a support forum and Google results). I guess in cases where the thing is mounted facing down (like in a 650D case) it's probably not noticed over the noise of the GPUs/case fans/coolers, but in a TJ11 where it's mounted in the base it's extremely noticeable.

I'd like to get a working unit but I am of the opinion that Caseking.de's stock is probably just more of the same and I doubt they'd be willing to actually unpack a unit, test it, and then send it to me since they're a reseller. And that's another week I lose, let alone if I get an endless stream of PSUs with faulty fans.

Should I just go ahead and do an RMA with you guys? The unit's performance is stellar and I'd like to stay with a brand I'm familiar with but this fan nonsense is really frustrating.

EDIT: Was Redbeard, not Yellowbeard, my mistake. Here's the link http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6970.html

Should I just go ahead and do an RMA with you guys? The unit's performance is stellar and I'd like to stay with a brand I'm familiar with but this fan nonsense is really frustrating.

It's entirely up to you. I you are within your resellers time frame to return it, it may be faster and cheaper for you to go that way. You would have to ship the PSU tho the Netherlands from where you are.

BTW , there are no know bad batches of units at this time, so it would be no different than what you would get back from Corsair direct. Yes there seems to be a large amount of issues , but really it is just a very small percentage of the total units sold.

It's entirely up to you. I you are within your resellers time frame to return it, it may be faster and cheaper for you to go that way. You would have to ship the PSU tho the Netherlands from where you are.

BTW , there are no know bad batches of units at this time, so it would be no different than what you would get back from Corsair direct. Yes there seems to be a large amount of issues , but really it is just a very small percentage of the total units sold.

Ahhh ok I assumed it was just bad production runs or something? Guess it's just random chance.

Caseking ships from Berlin (if I remember correctly) so to be honest the Netherlands is probably equally as far and the same time in shipping.

• 2 months later...

I think my fan is really noisy in my recently purchased ax1200.

I thought it might be caused by power settings as outlined in the noisy psu thread. I disabled every power settings in bios and the loudness is still there.

Its definately the psu fan. I disabled every fan in the case except psu, gpu and psu. I stopped cpu for a moment and sound was still there, i stopped the gpu fans and still there.

It just sounds kinda like buzzing but not electrical really. Noisy fan noise. Ive replaced ALL the fans in my case recently with bitfenix pro fans and they are super quiet. Just the sound of air passing.

So it seems others have same issue with the ax1200. I guess do i put up with it or RMA. It's just a pain in the *** as i dont have a spare psu and not to mention with the 650d case i have i spent ages doing the cabled management :(

what a pain.

• Corsair Employees
Proceed with the RMA process. Once you have received the confirmation e-mail and you want to avoid down time while you wait for the replacement, I would suggest that you contact our customer service and request for an advance RMA, that way we can send out the replacement first and once you have received it then you can send us back the defective unit. Contact # is 1.888.222.4346 x 701. Thanks

Archived