Corsair Community

Temps to Expect with 3930K and H100...

y2jdmbfan

Guys,

I picked up and H100 for my 3930K + Ramapge IV Extreme combo. I had the same fit problems with the socket as everyone else, but I managed to get it to fit. However, I believe something is wrong as my idle temps are around 30-32C in Windows and Small FFT load temps are at 70-72C. This is all at stock speeds. I would expect these temps at 4.9GHz or so, I got temps similar to this with my old 2600K @ 4.9GHz with a Silver Arrow. This is at the medium setting on the H100. The High setting is just too loud. I am going to check the fitment this evening, I hate having to reapply the thermal paste. If I can't get my temps any lower, I may go back to the Silver Arrow. I picked up the H100 because the Silver Arrow is such a pain work with, especially in the 600T, but it is quiet and I get good performance from it. What temps are others seeing with the H100 and 3930K at stock speeds?

Y2J

Everything in my computer is stock at the moment. I idle at around 30-33C (with the A/C on I can hit around 23-25C on the lowest temp on any of the 6 cores) and max out at 51-56C with Small FFT (with the A/C off). This is with max setting on the H100. I am using AP-15 fans though (which are very silent).

H100 + 2x GT AP-15s in pull on i7-2600K on Turbo (3,8GHz) gave me about 30 in idle and up to 58 in stress (OCCT Linpack/PSU). They would be lower if not for the lousy mounting of the CPU block - I got the screws without screwdriver slots so it was impossible to tighten the unit properly.

y2j, You might be able to improve your mounting, but IMO given your idle temps, it seems good now. Don't forget you are comparing a 130W TDP CPU (3930K) with a 95W TDP CPU (2600K). That is also a six core CPU vs a four core CPU. With 50% more cores running, even at idle, it's a given it will be warmer. Both of these CPUs are 32nm architecture, both Sandy Bridge family CPUs, your 3930K is not a 22nm Ivy Bridge CPU that is more power efficient.

Your 3930K's built in memory controller (IMC) is dealing with four channels of memory, vs the two channels of the 2600K. You also have 50% more cache in the 3930K, which is operating whether being used or not.

Yes I know, stock CPU settings vs an OC'd CPU. But IMO everything I've mentioned above still stands. IMO, the 2600K CPU was an amazing accomplishment, it's overall performance and operation is exceptional, and will be placed in the very top tier of CPUs in the history books. While the i7-3000 series CPUs perform better, I think we can agree they are not the same in overall operation as the i7-2600 series. The i7-3000 series CPUs are not bad of course, but they are different.

Even when OC'd, you still need to dissipate 95W of heat with an i7-2600K, and you've done that. The i7-3930 can operate while dissipating 130W of heat, but it's physically 50% more CPU than the i7-2600K in most areas, and 100% more in memory capacity. There still is no free lunch.

Plus it's warmer outside now, my sub 30C idle temps on my 2600K are gone now until the AC is on, or until next fall and winter. The devil is in the details, and there are so many details.

What temps are others seeing with the H100 and 3930K at stock speeds?Y2J

I am not at stock anymore but I recall I was idling at 30 or so when I was at stock for a day or two, that was in late December right when I finished the build. I have been at 4.375 (125x35) and right now I idle at 50 or so (house is much warmer now than it was in December). Also, our PCs are kept in a cabinent and so get much poorer air flow than a case that sits out in the open. A full 8 hours running Aida64's Stress Test (FPU and GPU for maximum thermal load) topped out at 80. When you think about it, that's really tremendous performance in my mind. A 30 degree difference under the most rediculous thermal load possible (check my specs -- those GPUs were running at 85-90 or so during stress testing and dumping all that hot air into the case). I am really quite pleased. I know these temps wouldn't be acceptable to many but so what. In the real world for the way I use the PC, the CPU won't ever see those temps and, besides, it would throttle down if it ever got into trouble (which it never has).

Not sure if this helps you or not but I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over your temps.

I guess my problem is that I was hoping for similar acoustic and cooling performance to my Silver Arrow with a lot more space around in the case around the CPU area. I didn't really run enough tests with the Silver arrow to determine the exact apples to apples cooling performance, but I definitely know the Silver Arrow wasn't close to this loud under load. I am getting around 66-69 with Prime on Small FFT's tonight with the fans set as exhaust in the 600T and the H100 set to medium. High setting is just way to loud. If I switch the fans to intake, there is considerable added intake noise from the radiator and fan grille of the 600T. I was thinking about adding 2 push slim scythe fans on the inside of the radiator to help suck air out, but I don't really know how much it will help. Idle temps are down to 28-34C. Keep in mind these are stock voltages and clocks.

Guys,

I was looking at the white 500R and I was wondering if I would get better cooling performance with it rather than the 600T with the H100? It seems like I would be able to run the H100 in its recommended configuration with the 500R which would be radiator mounted in the shelve in the top and the fans mounted on the inside of the case blowing out. It also seems that I would have less noise with the 500R due to the open cutouts in the top. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Y2J

Well, I picked up a 500R and a second H100, the original one I bought has been making pump noises. However, I just realized that my Rampage IV Extreme may not fit properly in the 500R due to the motherboard mounts being recessed. This is an extremely poor design flaw on this case. I realize that E-ATX isn't officially supported, but they could have easily designed the motherboard mount without the recess. I may now look at just cutting up the top portion of my 600T so that I can mimmick the radiator mounting of the 500R. I haven't tried the Rampage IV Extreme in the 500R yet, but it doesn't look good.

Y2J

Archived