Corsair Community

HX750 - High Pitch Noise & Freezing

chesney86

As the title says, I started hearing a constant, clear, high pitch noise coming from my case. I switched out graphics cards and it is still present. It has gotten worse and while browsing the internet, the screen distorted into reds/blues/pinks and froze. When I did a hard reboot, there were some load screeches, but other than that it booted up and is still working fine (except the noise).

I don't have much experience on the technical side so I can't get too in depth, but the sound is not present when in the BIOs and when I unplug everything except the power cord it disappears.

I can still play games, listen to music, etc. with no performance hit, but the noise continues to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Can you unplug the PSU from everything and connect just a HDD and case fan and do the paper clip test to be sure it is not something else in your? If the noise is still there see if you can tell where it is coming from.

I've never done the paper clip test and I don't really want to try it unless I really have to. However, I do have a few bits to add.

I took the computer into a repair shop and could not replicate the sound. I had an electrician check the outlet and everything is fine (voltage and grounding). The repair shop thought it sounded like a HDD problem so I ran SeaTools. The drive performed fine but while it was testing, the sound lessened to occasional small beeps.

The sound is definitely not coming from a case fan. I opened it up and from what I could tell, it was coming from the graphics card connection or the SATA connection behind it on the motherboard. However, it is rather difficult to pinpoint.

I have not noticed any problems with the computer performance other than the freezing while browsing the internet. Even games like Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 on max will not cause any issues.

Archived