Corsair Community

New H80 - CPU block leaking

nf4000

I just purchased a H80 to replace the current fan and heatsync on my main pc. As I was unboxing the new H80, I noticed some oily liquid coming out of the CPU block. I am not sure if this is oil or coolant, but it is not going anywhere near my processor. I am assuming that this is an unfortunate example of a product slipping through quality control and I will be exchanging it tomorrow for a replacement of the same model. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or anything similar. I looked around online and saw mainly positive reviews on this product that were consistent with all the other high quality products made by Corsair. I appreciate any feedback on this topic. Thanks!

***Edit Added Photos***

_DSC3058.thumb.jpg.172ba9899866d2a749eb7364abac197a.jpg

_DSC3064.thumb.jpg.2bbadfd21bfdb72646f3a66d32251b43.jpg

_DSC3066.thumb.jpg.2e15c24e59c9378650d7b29f1ce9119c.jpg

_DSC3069.thumb.jpg.81b5c2b620da58a0f3cc6cddff49116f.jpg

Any leaks from the H-series coolers are very rare. I don't believe I've ever heard of one that was leaking when the box was opened. Is this happening around the points where the tubes enter the water block? You didn't describe it in much detail, not that it makes much difference. The coolant is a mixture of water and ethylene glycol, which would make it seem oily.

I'm starting to wonder if units with issues were subjected to sub-freezing temperatures somewhere, and the inevitable expansion of the coolant might be causing damage.

I just updated the original post with some photos of the leak and 3 screws on the copper face of the CPU block. It appears the leak is coming from the side of the CPU block in image _DSC3058.jpg and it has run on to the copper heatsync. There are 3 screws on the heatsync that appear to have dried-up coolant on them that are in the other 3 photos I posted. I would like to note that there does not appear to be any leak coming from the side of the CPU block where the tubes enter; it is leaking from the other side as noted in the photo. I appreciate the feedback; however, I will not be cleaning it up and trying to get it working. It is obvious to me that something is defective in this case and I will be exchanging it once my local store opens for business today. Hopefully this is a one time occurrence.

that is where the units are filled. It is common for them to have some moisture there, but not leaking as bad as that. Looks like it's leaking around the screw holes on the cold plate too.

If you can exchange it at you store thats great. If not RMA it through Corsair. They might want to inspect that unit anyway.

My local store was able to do the exchange and confirmed that it was defective. I am back up and running and my temps are 15-20° cooler than the fan and heat sync I was using before. I am very happy with the results of adding this to my system.

Glad your new one is working well. Now that I can see the pics, you clearly had leaks through some of the screws that hold the heat plate in place. Perhaps they were loose.

NOT that you said anything about the following, but I wonder about the few people that ask, "... will it leak, can it leak...".

Any system that has a fluid in it has the potential for the fluids containment to fail to varying degrees. Does our garden hose drip at the connection points? Does our sink, bathtub, or shower have drips? The ceiling in my two story house, on the first floor above a bathroom started to show signs of water damage. I tried sealing all kinds of spots, but it just got worse. It turned out to be the bathtub drain was leaking where it was connected to a pipe, in a 20 year old house. Finally had to cut several square feet of the ceiling away, which was water logged anyway, to get at the leak. Stuff happens.

Archived