Corsair Community

Buzz from PSU

Logiven

Ok..... finally i got my replacement PSU and now, sometimes i can hear a BUZZ coming from the PSU not even turned on and the switch behind off, when I turn it on the buzz is louder but after a while the buzz disappears... before this I was able to hear only if I get closer to it a similar sound that changes when powered on and with system load or not.

what can cause this ? if not even turned on, if I connect to the AVR the avr makes the same noise, if i connect to the wall the psu makes the noise...

I've already payed and waited a lot doing RMA since i'm not in the US, It's going to be annoying to do it again if the problem follows the PSU :mad:

Edit:

Ok I dont know if this is called BUZZ but here it is, you can hear it

edit2: psu is a corsair hx1050

yea that's right

just happened once today, right now is all quiet If i get my ear close to the psu the only thing i can hear is hopefully is the fan sound, I don't know how to reproduce this but I don't want to think is a bad PSU again >_<.

edit:

Also for example: when I'm not playing any games and I get my ear closer to the PSU I hear a sound, then if I start a game this sounds changes, is not audible if I don't get my ear closer to the PSU, is this normal ?

vsync is on

Till today no sound, maybe is the cable as you say, if I hear it again i'll try with other, it must be specially for that PSU ? this cable is very thick

I did a bit of research and some say it could be a ground loop, what do you think? I must admit that my ground is not professionally done but my AVR doesn't says anything bad about it, just once a red led warned me about a bad wiring, and I think it did the same sound I don't remember.

I still wonder if the sound I hear when I get my ear very close to the PSU is normal, maybe I'm just paranoid

today happened again, remember this is with the switch off and coming directly from the cable slot from the back(some say is a vibrating transformer I have no idea), so I turned off the pc used other cable still the buzz, disconnected ground still, but after a while uplugged and the switch off then plug in again the sound disappeared... should i really RMA ? it costs me like $100 to send it back to the USA then I have to pay again shipping plus customs here when you ship back... what if I get other faulty psu?

edit2: there's no way to say why is this and if it's dangerous ? I don't care about the sound it makes (only happened twice since I'm using it) i'm just afraid it will damage my hardware... i've played, the system is stable playing for now.

edit3: wow today something weird happened, other pc (new, i bought it yesterday) with a generic psu and a i5 2300, started to make the same sound exactly after this psu did it but also its monitor was showing a 1 pixel small line going up constantly, i turned off this pc with the corsair PSU, and it was still showing it, disconnected completely the corsair psu from the wall and after a while the sound and line were gone from the other PC, i have to say, the other pc is not in the same circuit breaker, but i guess they are in the same electric line. I tested the whole system without ground and happened again and was gone after a little while, can anybody give me a clue of what's happening??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
I would suggest we go ahead and do an RMA and you can contact our customer service and discuss the shipping issue with them, I cant promise an outcome but they will do their best to work with you if you ask them. If fact lets do this please submit the RMA then let me know the case number and I will talk to them for you on Monday and contact you personally to try and get this worked out for you. As I would like to have our Engineering test that PSU.

Thanks, many thannks, but I believe i found the source of the problem, it was an electric artifact in my house that every time it turns on makes noise to the line but it was noticeable at the AVR and power supplies only... I noticed it by mistake, I wonder why the AVR can't handle it because it should filter that, I think...

AVR = Automatic Voltage Regulator

This one

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200

protect the psu from brownouts

so in the end the PSU should be fine and the source of the noise was other device in my house, neither the psu or the avr. since I could reproduce it anytime i wanted turning this device on and off.

• Corsair Employees
I see it is rated at 10 Amps MAX I do not know if that is MAX continuous but it would have to be and you would only be able to have the computer connected to that device at 10 Amps. That PSU is rated at 13 Amps at 100 Volts and 7.5 Amps at 240 Volts so that device may not have enough power to run this PSU. Did you try the system with out this device?

My voltage is 120v so maybe it gives the correct amp to the PSU at that voltage ?

and no I can't do that, I can kill the PSU without a brownout protection I believe.

by the way, remember the buzz problem was solved, but now you are making me think if I'm fine using this AVR...

well I think my load isn't that much, I just wanted a PSU that could last for a long time.

plus other last question :P yes this is last one. Today I decided to do a full clean of my pc case and did the psu test just to check the coil whine (which doesn't bugs me)

Is coil whine safe? my psu does it but very very low, is louder only if the psu has no load, tested alone using the paperclip then I plugged a sata drive and the whine was a lot quieter. I tried stopping the fan but the whine was still there, so is not the fan.

Thanks for all the support!

Archived