Corsair Community

Force 3 120GB on AMD SB850

arciere

My Corsair Force 3 shows very low performance. My laptop is a HP dv6-3152sl, which is supposed to be Sata3 (SB850/880G).

As you can see from ATTO, it runs like it is running Sata2. I updated BIOS and Sata controller driver, but still nothing.

Anyone having the same issue?

Cattura.JPG.e1d763d1e927e060e233a3b1d79970a5.JPG

My laptop is a HP dv6-3152sl, which is supposed to be Sata3 (SB850/880G).

An AMD SB850 is a Desktop chipset, not used in laptops. You probably have a SB820 but it's hard to tell, since that information is not even given on HP's page for your laptop. The SB820 seems to support SATA III speeds from the little information I could find about it. That is not listed on HP's page about your dv6-3152sl.

This is a common issue with laptop owners and SSDs that support SATA III speeds. It's not uncommon for laptop manufactures to limit the performance of the SATA interface to SATA II speeds (3Gb/s) for some reason, usually to save power. That might be the case here. You may need to set your Windows power profile to High Performance, or look into the DIPM changes people do on laptops to get your SATA III speed working, if possible.

What did HP support say about your issue?

CPU-Z tells me my laptop's chipset is 785GX. But I cannot find anything on HP's page either.

By the way, the DIPM change didn't fix that issue, but did fix another one: setting to "Active" everything, the drive doesn't freeze for 1 minute when it goes on battery!

Cattura.JPG.3d196df699ed9db182ffe84237b353c2.JPG

CPU-Z tells me my laptop's chipset is 785GX. But I cannot find anything on HP's page either.

By the way, the DIPM change didn't fix that issue, but did fix another one: setting to "Active" everything, the drive doesn't freeze for 1 minute when it goes on battery!

It's great you have that issue resolved. The way AMD classifies their chipsets, particularly on laptops, is to include the Northbridge, Southbridge, and Video GPU chips under one name, such as 785GX. Regarding your issue, we are interested in the Southbridge, SATA I/O chip, which in your case is likely one of AMDs' 800 series mobile chips, but given what I have seen, could even be a 700 series chip.

I'm not certain, but CPU-Z may not be displaying the full detail of the mobile series chipset you have. IMO, AMD chipsets and designations are very confusing, and people complain about Intel!

Archived