Corsair Community

Wondering/Worrying about something

books

Hi I have an HX520 psu in an HTPC which has been going great for the past 5 years or so. I just installed a new hard disk and I had to unplug most of the switch wires (HDD LED, RESET SW, POWER SW, etc.) and because it's an HTPC with a digital display it is a little more complicated than usual, and I may have plugged the wrong thing in to the wrong thing.. - At one point I plugged a four pin switch power cable (which only has 2 pins inside) in to a 4 pin power from the PSU, and I think that is what I did wrong).

Anyway when I turned on the power, a big spark jumped out of the PSU and there was a flash in there too. I couldn't see any smoke or smell anything though. I un-did what I had done with my wires and started again, and now the computer is up and running again with Windows installed and it's doing the service packs and whatnot. So all seems well now.

But I just wondered whether I should be concerned? If I put my head near the PSU with the lid off, I can hear faint fizzing/crackling type noises when the computer is processing something. But with the case closed, I can't hear anything. So all seems well... but seeing as this is an HTPC which I usually leave on overnight, I just thought I should check with you. Do you think I dodged a bullet and all will be fine, or do you think I might be at risk of burning down my house while I'm asleep?

Good question. The spark you saw may have been the PS reaction to the mis-wiring that happened, just before it's protection mechanisms kicked in. If the PS still works, it's likely fine. Your PS could have made those small noises before the incident, or are you sure they did not?

Can you put that HTPC is S3 Sleep mode overnight? It will not be completely off of course, but using a separate circuit (5V Stand By) to keep the memory alive, with the OS image in it at the time Sleep was started. Just a potential way to ally your worries.

Thanks for the reply! The noises it makes are very quiet, so I wouldn't be surprised if it always did that. With the case closed you can't hear it anyway, so maybe that's just normal.

I think I'll just turn it on when I need it for now. And then at the weekend I will leave it on all day while I'm pottering around the house and I might play some games on it too. If it copes with all that, then it will put my mind at rest :)

Archived