Corsair Community

Poor performance on SSD

Despoman

Hey all.

I just got my SSD disk today only to find the performance rather poor.

I've gone through the forum and done some stuff. Like switching from IDE to AHCI and changing cables and ports. Went up about 10mbs switching from IDE to AHCI controller.

I do have the Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 240GB disc using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard. Pretty sure the disc have the latest firmware as it stands 1.3.3 after the corsair disc name when i boot up.

here's the result on the test i'm doing:

SSD.jpg.74cf4edff5e3f25848dac52a35946bba.jpg

As you can see the result does not go much over 130mbs. Isnt this supposed to go up at 500's?

Cheers for reply.

Yeah i am sure i using the correct connectors. I have also did update the drivers from the link you provided. Made sure they installed correctly and did the test again. And to my disappointment the result was the same.

Could the drive be broken? or the motherboard for that sake?

Gonna test with using the SATA2 connectors tomorrow and see if i get the SATA2 speeds. Each time i switch between IDE/AHCI SATA2 or 3 i need to reformat, is that normal?

Hi

Ave u check for bios update as it improve comtability and satility

Gigabite give Marvell driver

1.0.0.1027 2009/11/10 very old

U can get the lates from intel 1.​2.​0.​1019 3/12/2012

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+5+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Board+DX58SO2&ProdId=3262&LineId=3016&FamilyId=36

In the same page ove intel DX58SO2, This is my board with same chipset as yours

So u could take marell new driver, intel storage driver and chipset inf driver

As they are newer then thos give at gigabytes.

And you could update Marvell 91xx firmware

The last one is 2.2.0.1125 from

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm

Last time a update marvell firmware from 1.0.0.1407 to 1.0.0.1701 a got from 200Mb/s to 360Mb/s

But it was a long time a go and a but a pcie 8x controller then

Maybe with 2.2.0.1125 firmware and last driver 1.​2.​0.​1019

You get speed around 400Mb/s or more?

I don't now if we ever get th 550Mb/s with ssd on marvell 91xx

As it is limited using a pcie 1x

Just let me now

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

AH, the (not) Marvelous Marvell chip. All of us with X58 boards are stuck with the Marvel 91xx chipsets, that will only run at 5Gb/s, not the 6Gb/s of SATA III. I know, the mobo box said 6Gb/s, but... it's a lie.

Anyway, the Intel and Marvell chipsets SATA mode are administered in different parts of the BIOS. The main one is for the Intel chipset, the Marvell is somewhere else, such as in Onboard Devices, or even in the Tools section of your BIOS. My point is I doubt you have the Marvell chipset in AHCI mode, since your speeds from your picture are clearly SATA I.

If you changed now to the Intel SATA II ports, you would have better speed, but up to about 260MBs, since it's SATA II. Try the new drivers for your Marvell chip, and find where to set it to AHCI mode, or RAID if you don't have a choice, you'll still get all the AHCI features. The Intel and Marvell SATA modes are in different parts of the BIOS.

Cheers folks, i appreciate the help.

I'm sure i have activated both to AHCI as it is two different lines i need to set to AHCI, one is like overall, and one is for each of the two pairs of connectors that support sata3.

I did get an improvement today tho, seemed i had a bottleneck connected, at least i think it was. Noticed the old spinning disc was connected to one of the sata3 slots, don't ask my why it was or why i completely overlooked it yesterday. And as a result of moving that to sata2 the speed of the corsair is now around 240mbs write and around 400mbs read. Still not as it should be right?

So my next step is updating the firmware Turbonerfs101e linked to. First one i have. And second one i cant seem to find out how to install. Do i require to put it on a floppy and restart? as i don't have a floppy drive and i don't think there is one for miles :)

Its the same with bios number, im running on F6 firmware and i have downloaded newer, but i can't seem to grasp on how to install them.

Appreciate the help folks.

AH, the (not) Marvelous Marvell chip. All of us with X58 boards are stuck with the Marvel 91xx chipsets, that will only run at 5Gb/s, not the 6Gb/s of SATA III. I know, the mobo box said 6Gb/s, but... it's a lie.

Anyway, the Intel and Marvell chipsets SATA mode are administered in different parts of the BIOS. The main one is for the Intel chipset, the Marvell is somewhere else, such as in Onboard Devices, or even in the Tools section of your BIOS. My point is I doubt you have the Marvell chipset in AHCI mode, since your speeds from your picture are clearly SATA I.

If you changed now to the Intel SATA II ports, you would have better speed, but up to about 260MBs, since it's SATA II. Try the new drivers for your Marvell chip, and find where to set it to AHCI mode, or RAID if you don't have a choice, you'll still get all the AHCI features. The Intel and Marvell SATA modes are in different parts of the BIOS.

yeah but 5gb speeds is still fast....i cant really complain

Its the same with bios number, im running on F6 firmware and i have downloaded newer, but i can't seem to grasp on how to install them.

Appreciate the help folks.

-Usually you would extract the BIOS files to an USB.

I'd highly recommend you read your user manual for information on BIOS Updating.

yeah but 5gb speeds is still fast....i cant really complain

Yes, It may be fast but Motherboard manufacturers advertise it as being SATA 6Gb/s

Archived