Corsair Community

Best place for CPU temperature probe using H50?

LinuxInside

I bought a few days ago a rheobus, the "NZXT Sentry LXE" and because I use as CPU cooler the Corsai Hydro H50 I wondering where is the best position to apply the temperature probe to monitor CPU temperature.

I have placed a sensor on the back of the CPU socket as you can see on the pic I have uploaded, but I don't know if it's the best location, in fact I have a difference of 3 Celsius degrees between the NZXT Sentry LXE and the software utility "SpeedFan".

In idle with NZXT Sentry LXE: 28° C while with SpeedFan 31° C.

One more question, I have finished the yellow stickers (you can see the stickers in the picture) included in packaging used to secure the temperature probes onto components so I wondering what kind of thermal adhesive tape I can buy to replace them, could give me any suggestions, please?

Sorry for my English, regards!

235981765_NZXTSentryLXE.jpg.9602e91df6ae57f2af0239ea37fcb9c6.jpg

IMG_0320.thumb.jpg.5ca0ea47a8ce707918369c56941780a8.jpg

I have placed a sensor on the back of the CPU socket as you can see on the pic I have uploaded, but I don't know if it's the best location, in fact I have a difference of 3 Celsius degrees between the NZXT Sentry LXE and the software utility "SpeedFan".

In idle with NZXT Sentry LXE: 28° C while with SpeedFan 31° C.

This can be attributed to two things.

1) location of the sensor. the one you have placed is not quite the same as the one in the socket. or CPU . Where ever it is . So temps are going to be somewhat different.

2) anytime you have or use more than one monitoring software at a time it will cause sensors to read wrong. But thats such a small difference in this case i wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry i do not have any suggestions as to thermal tape other than you can find it at http://www.frozencpu.com. I would think the stickers included in the kit would be sufficient though. Unless they recommend to replace them.

You are very lucky that the temperature difference between the sensor placed under the socket and the reading from within the CPU by SpeedFan is that close. I would have never thought they would be that close, assuming they are correct. It may be very hard to improve on that.

Of course the best way would be to put the temperature sensor on the CPU itself, but that is impossible without putting it between the CPU and the heat transfer contact area of the CPU cooler. You can imagine the problems with that. The only thing I can think of is putting that sensor on the edge or corner of the CPU, if that area is exposed with the CPU cooler mounted.

You would probably need to remove the CPU cooler, and somehow put that sensor on the stepped edge of the CPU. Putting the tape on it would be difficult, and of course the tape should not be put on the surface of the CPU. You might be able to be Ok with a small amount of tape on the CPU surface, but only on the edges. If your CPU temperature went up after doing that, then you would know the tape was causing that problem.

P-Nutz, in his situation, that NZXT unit is not running it's software on the mother board, right? It has power connected to it, and the temp sensor from the CPU to the NZXT control panel. So I don't think that in this situation that the NZXT unit will cause any temperature data corruption. See what I mean, or what do you think?

I'm agree with the 1)

About the 2), I'm using only SpeedFan as monitoring software to compare temperatures with those provided by NZXT Sentry LXE, that it's a rheobus that use a card to process temperaturs coming from the temperature probes.

Thank you for the answer!

You are very lucky that the temperature difference between the sensor placed under the socket and the reading from within the CPU by SpeedFan is that close. I would have never thought they would be that close, assuming they are correct. It may be very hard to improve on that.

It's good to know!

Of course the best way would be to put the temperature sensor on the CPU itself, but that is impossible without putting it between the CPU and the heat transfer contact area of the CPU cooler. You can imagine the problems with that.

Yes, this means burn the CPU!

The only thing I can think of is putting that sensor on the edge or corner of the CPU, if that area is exposed with the CPU cooler mounted.

You would probably need to remove the CPU cooler, and somehow put that sensor on the stepped edge of the CPU. Putting the tape on it would be difficult, and of course the tape should not be put on the surface of the CPU. You might be able to be Ok with a small amount of tape on the CPU surface, but only on the edges. If your CPU temperature went up after doing that, then you would know the tape was causing that problem.

This is a solution to evaluate, I have to better see the space avalaible and if it can be dangerous!

I have to understand what kind of thermal adhesive tape to buy for this kind of test and to replace the stickers included in packaging that are coming off!

It's important that the tape not melt at high temperatures

It's good to know!

Yes, this means burn the CPU!

This is a solution to evaluate, I have to better see the space avalaible and if it can be dangerous!

I have to understand what kind of thermal adhesive tape to buy for this kind of test and to replace the stickers included in packaging that are coming off!

It's important that the tape not melt at high temperatures

I should have been more clear (your English is fine, by the way), that my suggestion of putting the sensor on the side of the CPU is just another method, but actually may not be better or even as good as what you have now. It still surprises me that those two temps are that close, but that is great.

I think you should try this: Leave the NZXT's sensor where it is now, on the bottom of the socket. Use it like that for a few days, and watch what the temperature is on SpeedFan, and on the NZXT unit. Run a CPU stress test, like LinX, or Prime95, and see what the difference between the two temperatures is when the CPU is hot. If the difference in temperatures stays very close, or stays at only 3C different, you could just use it that way. That difference is not much, and is like the difference between a CPU core temperature, and the overall CPU temperature. You'll know that the NZXT's display temperature is just a bit below what it actually is, assuming the SpeedFan is right. I'd try another temperature monitoring program and see what it reads.

Frankly, I'm impressed that the NZXT unit works as well as it does.

I should have been more clear (your English is fine, by the way), that my suggestion of putting the sensor on the side of the CPU is just another method, but actually may not be better or even as good as what you have now. It still surprises me that those two temps are that close, but that is great.

I think you should try this: Leave the NZXT's sensor where it is now, on the bottom of the socket. Use it like that for a few days, and watch what the temperature is on SpeedFan, and on the NZXT unit. Run a CPU stress test, like LinX, or Prime95, and see what the difference between the two temperatures is when the CPU is hot. If the difference in temperatures stays very close, or stays at only 3C different, you could just use it that way. That difference is not much, and is like the difference between a CPU core temperature, and the overall CPU temperature. You'll know that the NZXT's display temperature is just a bit below what it actually is, assuming the SpeedFan is right. I'd try another temperature monitoring program and see what it reads.

Frankly, I'm impressed that the NZXT unit works as well as it does.

Ok I will make the test that you have suggested!

Maybe I can fix better the sensor, because as you can see in the picture, part of the probe is on the metal plate and raised from the surface of the motherboard and this might affect in a lower temperature!

Archived