Corsair Community

Is my Force 120 GB dying?

Hi Guys

I wondered if anyone might be able to help me with a PC problem that I suspect might be my SSD dying.

Completely out of the blue about a week ago my PC started to freeze a few minutes after entering windows. Every time I try to run CHKDSK it freezes at 15% of stage 4 of 5 for a few minutes before resetting. I wondered if it was windows and have formatted the drive and attempted to reinstall, though it fails every time saying that Windows cannot find a file.

I did wonder if it was the motherboard and have updated the drivers, without any improvement.

How can I find out if it really is the SSD that is playing up and what can I do about it if it is?

It was running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit before it all went wrong!

Any help or advice would be absolutely great.

Try the disk in another computer. If it displays same behavior it's very likely that your disk is dying.

Have you tried Secure Erasing the disk btw? It's a process which restores the SSD to factory performance and is also known to "reset" the disk and clearing out less fatal problems. There's a guide in the stickies.

Also, what's the firmware version on the disk?

Just curious - 3 sticks of ram? It's a dual channel board only, which means that you've got 1 pair of sticks running dual channel and 1 stick which doesn't. Now, I'm not saying that's the cause of the problems, just pointing out that it's a rather uncommon configuration and the memory controllers integrated in the CPU are known to be a bit picky. Or maybe it's running all your RAM modules single channel only, resulting in lower-than-optimal performance. Just a thought.

EDIT: Are you overclocking btw?

Hi Folmer

Thanks for the advice. The secure erase seems to have fixed things. I've reinstalled and everything seems to be working ok.

The RAM was a copy and paste error from the list I made when I was ordering the PC parts (had originally intended to buy an AMD setup with 3 sticks but went with an Intel based setup with 2 x 2gb sticks. I've not overclocked the machine.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived