Corsair Community

H80 - Expected temperatures?

ferret99gt

Hi all. I've been reading through several threads and been googling quite a bit tonight. Hoping I can find some answers by posting.

Just finishing building an i5-2500K with the 600T case and H80. Motherboard is MSI's Z68A-GD55. I've been reading up on Sandy Bridge and my OC currently is using Turboboost with the multiplier limit on the cores set to 46, and voltages remaining on auto after reading multiple threads.

I've got Arctic Alumina as my compound. I followed Arctic's instructions for application, using the vertical line method. For this initial post, the temperatures I've mentioned are from Core Temp.

What I'm see idle:

Core 0 - 35-36C

Core 1 - 36-37C

Core 2 - 36-37C

Core 3 - 32-33C

(Note: At idle writing this post, CPUID HM is reporting about 2C higher than CoreTemp. I don't know the differences between how they sample though. CPUID HM shows the same core differences though.)

Cores 1 and 2 are always higher than 0, and core 3 is always the lowest, in every case.

Under P95 load, the temperatures immediately shoot towards 64/69/69/62. They may climb somewhat from there into the very low 70s for cores 1 and 2, while 0 may reach 66-68, and 3 will be around 64-66. Ceased P95 will immediately drop to around 40C and level off to the temperatures above fairly quickly.

I'm not sure if I have an issue or not. Every thread seems to have a different story to tell, of 4.6ghz overclocks that Prime95 at 60 flat, and others who say 70. I'm pretty certain my idle temps are somewhat elevated as most threads seem pretty consistent about aroound 30-32C.

SmartFan is definitely off in the Bios, and CPUID HM reports the CPU running at 2100-2200 RPM at all times that I've monitored. Checking the radiator by hand after reading other threads, the intake side is definitely warm to touch while the outtake is noticably cooler. I can't personally tell in difference in the temperature of the lines themselves, they don't seem hot enough for me to feel except slight warmness.

I have also tried MSI's built in OC Genie, which sets the multiplier to 42 with Turbo off, CPU volt of 1.35, the CPU I/O voltage to 1.25, RAM to 1.666, with similar results to allowing TurboBoost to handle things.

The main issue I have is I'm just not even sure I have a problem. The temperatures seem high but the posts I see across various sites all differ in what to expect. I think I said that like three times though, sorry :)

Your temps are pretty good. Honestly you really cant "expect" any sort of tempuratures as each system is different and will run hotter/cooer than the next. And this will also depend on case cooling too.

Your temps are fine for that overclock.!

Cores 1 and 2 are always higher than 0, and core 3 is always the lowest, in every case.

You will always have cores that read higher than the others. It all depends on what tasks that core is up to as to how much heat it generates. I've seen core temp differences as much as 8c, nothing to worry about.

It's completely normal for a modern CPU to heat up immediately under load, and to cool off quickly when the load is over. It's a good sign that your CPU temps drop immediately when stopping P95, that shows the cooler is working well, which does not happen with some air coolers.

Comparing temps to what others report is not that simple, there are so many details that make a difference. You might set your CPU voltage manually, while others don't. You may have enabled your boards high power settings for the CPU, while others don't. Your board may be able to supply all kinds of current to the CPU, while others have just a four phase VR system on their boards. Do you have SpeedStep, etc, enabled on your board, and do the other use it? Can you trust everything that people post?

I have a P67 board and an i7-2600K. I've found I can just barely tweak the CPU power options the board has, and OC my CPU fine. Turning on all the high power features just raises the VRM temps, I can leave everything on Auto. Sandy Bridge CPUs are very different about needing power than socket 1366/i7-900 series CPUs, which work better with more power. IMO, you don't need to feed SB CPUs buckets of current, all that does is heat them up to much. Try different settings and see how it goes.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. Temps are a little bit down, so I wonder if I'm also going through a bit of the break in period Arctic talks about all over their instructions. Seems to be fine in gaming, etc, and only really ramps up towards 70 under torture tests.

Archived