Hi, my system specs are as followed:

ASUS P8H67-V Motherboard

Intel i5 2500k

Corsair DDR3 8GB (4x2) 1333MHz

Radeon HD 4870

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 5900rpm

Corsair TX850M

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

The system works perfectly fine except for the fact that it fails to reboot when using the OS. For example when I select "restart" from the start menu, the system shuts down, and on reboot when it gets to the Windows Starting Screen I just get a black screen with no activity. The system boots perfectly fine when I do a hard reboot by pressing the power button. A very perplexing problem. When I checked the Windows error log, the critical error responsible was "Kernel-Power 41". I looked it up on Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

The system memory is fine, I'm suspecting a bad power supply as the culprit. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

That just a generic error code that could mean just about anything from a bad driver, corrupt OS and yes, including power related. Have you tried wiping the disc and reinstalling the O.s.?

Are you sure you have all necessary drivers and are they up to date?

See what your voltages are being reported as in your BIOS to be sure you do not have any abnormal readings. You are allowed 5% varience either up or down to be within spec.

Yes, I've wiped the disc and reinstalled the OS twice now. I've also made sure that all the drivers are up to snuff. I just checked the BIOS and all of the voltages are within parameters. Could it be motherboard? I've already replaced the motherboard through ASUS RMA because the previous one would not install the OS. But I think having two faulty mobos would be unlikely.

Very possible! I dont mean to discourage you , but im on my third MB from ASUS. Check ASUS forums too, you'll find plenty of posts of others who have recieved more than one bad MB from them on RMA.They do not use new MB when you send them in for repair. You recieve refurbished stock in exchange.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm having a similar issue (I'll start another thread if needs be)

I'm seeing random reboots and the thread that RAM GUY linked to didn't help.

I get random reboots even during the bios which rules out any windows configuration errors.

I have tried removing the ram in different setups and it still randomly reboots.

I've tried a different graphics card and still it randomly reboots.

I don't get a BSOD or any descriptive errors. Its not overclocked or over heating

I should add that the system has been rock solid since I install Win7 ages ago and I have had the PSU since 1st March 2011 But the reboots have started happening in the last few days.

Just to update, I'm getting a second RMA on the motherboard. It seems that there is something wrong with the internal Intel graphics. When I took out the Radeon GPU, on the "Windows Starting" screen, I would get scratched up video. I tried installing the OS on different drives but to no success. The PSU is reading perfect voltages.

I've pretty much tried swapping out every piece of hardware except the mobo and PSU. If the problems persist with the new mobo, I'll probably get an RMA on the PSU. I'll just keep updating on me progress!

Mahalo and Happy St Patrick's Day!

I've disconnected all my storage drives so its just my C:\ drive connected and the problem still persists. I will try another hard drive but right now I'm leaning towards PSU (why I posted here) or motherboard.

If a new hard drive and clean OS install doesn't sort it then I'll try the PSU first.

I've disconnected all my storage drives so its just my C:\ drive connected and the problem still persists. I will try another hard drive but right now I'm leaning towards PSU (why I posted here) or motherboard.

If a new hard drive and clean OS install doesn't sort it then I'll try the PSU first.

As of the last few days, I too have been experiencing random reboots, usually every few hours though. Identical to your case I'm not getting and BSODs or anything. Well, I'm getting an RMA on mobo, and You're getting an RMA on PSU so assuming that our problems are the same, let's see what fixes the problem LOL

Right I've tested RAM GUY's suggestion of using a different hard drive with a clean install of the OS on it and it is still randomly rebooting, during post, during windows loading, during windows and even during the BIOS screen.

As I type this (on laptop) the computer did something its not done before and powered down for around 2 seconds before booting back up. Very odd! And it is rebooting VERY frequently at the moment.

I don't know whether to RMA the motherboard or the PSU as both could result in the random reboots.

At this point i would try to get a hold of a multimeter to see exactly what your voltages are coming fro the PSU. If it IS the PSU, i would suspect the 3.3v rail to be real low causing the random reboots.

But using a meter would be the best way to get true readings.

Any chance of borrowing a PSU from someone to see if the issue follows the MB or the PSU?

OK my system has been on for about 3 days without a reboot now.

I had a hunch about a possible cause and I think I've found out what it was. A while ago I was suffering from random power downs and failing to power up.

It turns out that the on off switch was faulty and it was actually activating on its own - hard to believe but true.

I now believe that the same thing has been happening but this time with the reset switch because its the only thing that I've removed.

I've only ever heard about 1 other case of the power on switch causing random power downs.

• Corsair Employee

Well for either one of you I have no problem replacing the PSU but with what you have both posted; would suspect some other issue. However, if you want to try and replace the PSU by all means be my guest and we can sure try it; no problems at all.

Please use the link on the left and let's try and replace it.

Archived