Corsair Community

550D - Positive Pressure Setup

mr00000

Hello all,

I'm working on a new build, slowly building up a system using a 550D (waiting for Ivy Bridge). Since I have plenty of time, I've been carefully researching every single component and setup before ordering. With this build I am strongly considering building it out with a positive pressure setup.

I still want to build around the silent concept while taking advantage of some of the flexible cooling options that the 550D has. With that in mind, I am leaning toward not using the side intakes since that would produce the most perceptible noise (that side of the case is closest to my head). Here is the current setup I'm considering:

HSF

• Noctua NH-D14 (blowing to rear)

Intake

• Front - Thermalright X-Silent 120mm (2)
  • Bottom - Thermalright X-Silent 140mm
  • Top - Thermalright X-Silent 140mm (2)

Exhaust

• Rear - Thermalright X-Silent 140mm

Overall, just looking for feedback on this setup. I used to think that top intake would be a bad idea but it seems like a good way to get cold air directly over the CPU / RAM. Also, I'm open to feedback to the fans - they just seem like a good balance of CFM/DBA/$$$.

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Why dont you use all noctua fans... They're pricey, but you have time... Considering you're definite on the nh-d14... The fans on it will stand out and look ugly, but if u use it threw the whole case it will look a lot cooler... I'd use the side fans as well they help a lot... Front intakes, side intakes, rear exhaust, top exhaust is best setup for great cooling ;):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a small amount of "backpressure" would be helpful - otherwise it would be like running straight pipes on a bike - they do not provide more power at all RPMs, only sometimes in a narrow portion of the powerband.

It would be simliar to adding more exhaust fans - which changes the ratio of positive to negative pressure. You could experiment by testing temps with a single exhaust, then again with no exhaust fan, then if you wanted to go the extra mile perhaps cut the hole.

You could always get an aftermarket filter for the hole if it turned out to be a bad idea!

Archived