Corsair Community

Now scared to get a H100.

AtomicAMD

I am going to be purchasing the 500R case later this week and would like to put the H100 in it.

Now I have read the many problems the 500R case can have including it being uneven on surfaces, warped mobo trays, and incorrect spacing for their own PSUs......... But this is the wrong part of the forum for that. If these have been addressed, please let me know though.

After reading through the forums, it sounds like it is really going to be hit and miss with the H100 pump. It doesn't sound like any of the problems have been addressed, and that they have been pretty silent (corsair support, not the pump). Something is happening with their QC. I have enjoyed every Corsair product I have owned, (HS1's are insanely nice when tuned correctly) but lately it seems they have taken a turn for the worse.

I'm ranting, please let me know if I am okay to be afraid to purchase these products still.

Thanks in advance.

The fault rate on H100/H80 seems high, because you don't have people coming here just to say their unit is working well.

Corasair rep said before that the percentage of faulty units is below 2%, now they've even said below 1%. And that they are working on the noise problems.

Should you be afraid? Probably no. What's worrying is that there are cases of RMAs where 3 or 4 replacements come faulty over and over again. Other than than it's a nice equipment.

Yeah I am sure I will order them still, I just hope I am not let down. Yeah the RMA rate is what scared me. It seems they have a whole production line that could be faulty.

Crossing my fingers Corsair, so far you have been great!

Well, there's a possibility that it will be noisy - this can be fixed without RMA in most cases, or that the fan controller will be broken or die quickly or that the whole unit will die (no lights situation), both of which are RMA situations.

But how lucky are you to get to the 1% club? ;)

I can offer some feedback on the 500R, since I bought one recently. I did not have any of the issues you mentioned (short of one, which I'll discuss in a moment.)

Frankly, the majority of those issues sounds to me like shipping damage. That is, when you buy one from an on-line retailer and it is shipped in it's standard box by the usual shippers we all know and (don't) love. I bought mine from a local store, which did not endure the type of shipping I mentioned above. My 500R did not have any of the problems you mentioned, and I am very picky about things like that, and would notice them immediately. I have mine on a hard flat surface, and it sits just fine with no wobbling about. My mobo aligned perfectly, so no warping. I really think all the problems with any case are caused by shipping damage.

Now this PS thing, which IMO has been blown way out of proportion. One short editorial, if people think they can just close their eyes and insert parts in a case and they will magically line up perfectly, they are wrong. Their reaction to that being an immediate hate filled rant is what I would call, childish.

There are four rather firm plastic standoffs on the bottom of the case that support the PS. Since they are firm and a bit taller than usual, the first time you put a PS on them, the screw holes on the PS don't align perfectly with the holes on the case. IMO, applying a little bit of pressure downward on the PS will cause the holes to line up fine. Let me add that when using a vibration gasket on the PS, which always makes getting the screws in place more difficult, of course adds more difficulty. Over time, those standoffs will squash down a bit, and not be a problem. I've found on other cases with foam pads on metal standoffs, that compress flat quickly, in a short time the PS is literally floating above the standoffs, only being supported by it's screws. So IMO, long term the Corsair method on this case will provide better support to the PS.

Finally, there were complaints about the screws not aligning in all four corners. That is obviously a noob complaint, that never mounted a PS with the fan facing downward on a bottom mount PS case. I have four screws holding my PS in place, but with the down facing fan configuration, one of the screws needs to go not in the upper left corner, but in the the spot that is an inch or so to the right, generally above the the power switch. All my bottom mount PS cases, one Corsair, three others not, with Corsair and other PSs, all have their screws in that position. Not a problem, they work fine, there is no issue here at all.

I must also say that just because some people in forums say that these issues exist, does not mean that is the case at all. One cannot assume they are true without much more evidence. You assumed that they did and asked if they were addressed, when the issues never existed, IMO and experience. When someone has owned about six cases and as many PSs, then they can pass judgement on a case or PS not fitting correctly. Until then, they simply don't have the experience.

... PSU fit problem in the 500R ??

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4993/20120307170813260.jpg

This is a *** 850w / Modular / 80+G PSU - which fits just fine in the 500R ...

... have 3 of them, the other 2 have 700w PSUs - they all look the same from this angle - all 4 t-screws / no problems / not an issue ...

... PSU fit problem in the 500R ??

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4993/20120307170813260.jpg

This is a *** 850w / Modular / 80+G PSU - which fits just fine in the 500R ...

... have 3 of them, the other 2 have 700w PSUs - they all look the same from this angle - all 4 t-screws / no problems / not an issue ...

Nice, I am glad to hear it. If you google or even look on this forum, there have been many problems with the 500r. Though it could have just been one lot. I will be purchasing the black one because I hear it has less restriction for an exhaust without that dust filter on it.

So are you implying that they break ha? Since you have another on incase?

Noooo...but, sounds like you are. Even if it does...it is a machine...machines need repair/replacement. There is another radical concept...often used in the world...called... a "spare part".

Noooo...but, sounds like you are. Even if it does...it is a machine...machines need repair/replacement. There is another radical concept...often used in the world...called... a "spare part".

I bet you are the only person with a spare H100 lying around that isn't broken.

I wasn't implying anything. That's why it was a question. Radical.

... I will be purchasing the black one because I hear it has less restriction for an exhaust without that dust filter on it.

OMGawd, I have a white 500R! My exhaust must be restricted! How could Corsair do this to me. I must RMA this piece of junk immediately... Corsair better order a recall on all the white 500R's now! ;):

But then the white case is much better at reflecting the charged particles from the solar wind storm that is approaching us now and will be here Thursday. If you have a black case you should shutdown your PC now or you'll be sorry :eek:

OMGawd, I have a white 500R! My exhaust must be restricted! How could Corsair do this to me. I must RMA this piece of junk immediately... Corsair better order a recall on all the white 500R's now! ;):

But then the white case is much better at reflecting the charged particles from the solar wind storm that is approaching us now and will be here Thursday. If you have a black case you should shutdown your PC now or you'll be sorry :eek:

You obviously didn't get my point at all. But nice post.

I will be purchasing the black one because "I hear" it has less restriction for an exhaust without that dust filter on it.

... well yep, there's the fan boys to deal with, but don't forget about the trolls - wouldn't want to leave anybody feeling left out ...

... & last, but not least; must include of all those that have no personal knowledge, other than what they might have read somewhere ... ;):

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3261/20120307181023306.jpg ... http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7994/20120307180943573.jpg

I'm not really sure what's being referred to as to any difference(s) between the black & the white 500R cases - other than the obvious ...

... personally, I didn't notice anything different between the cases on any of these 3 builds ...

There is an H100 in each of them, they work well together with the paneled "drop in" top compartment of the 500R, imo ...

As far as these builds are concerned, the jury's still out on the H100s; but I'm hoping that the reason I went with them pans out ...

... a quick, easy, sealed, $100 alternative to air cooling the CPU - one that's allowing the inside of the case to be left wide open for good circulation - time will tell.

If you asked do I think the H100 compares to my other cooling system - not a shot ...

... but, then the H100 as compared to a couple of the better air coolers out there - well, I guess I'm sure hoping so based on these 3 builds - we'll see ...

So, my experience with the 500R is with these 3 cases/builds, & "only" these 3 builds - had no case problems during any of the builds, & after spending some time with them ...

... I still think they're one of the best bang for the buck cases in the myriad; & will probably buy a few more of them.

... but, maybe I just got lucky (3 for 3 with all 4 PSU screws - LOL) ??

Anyway - good luck with your 500R build, & have fun with it ... :cool:

OK, Guys, let's all dial it back a bit!

Anything made by man has what are called in the manufacturing business, "manufacturing tolerances", which means that ALL dimensions are given with a (+/-) tolerance. Sometimes these tolerances butt up against each other. This means that sometimes matching holes don't line up or are too close. This applies the same for computer case as it does to fighter aircraft (F-16 in particular) and high speed merchant marine Catapiller Diesel engines), The more different manufacturers involved, the bigger margin for these tolerances to accumulate.

I have a Corsair 500R White case, an 850 P/S, ASUS P8P67 MoBo. I had always before used Lian-Li cases (6 of them) and have found the build quality to be consistant across the board. And an H100 unit which is working quite well.

Sooo, if you are having assembly issues, take a deep breath, walk away and try again with fresh eyes and a calmer mood.

Oh, yes, if you expect perfection in things mechanical, go see God or build it your self!

Archived