Corsair Community

Static Clicking Noise

DarkJhon

Hi,

I've been part of the computer building community for a long time now and I had just bought a new motherboard, processor, memory...etc and I'm having this problem with the Corsair GS600 gaming series. After a couple weeks of using my new computer I discovered a sort of subtle static clicking noise (this is the best way I can describe it). The computer is working fine and I don't have any problems with overheating, random restarting or anything else for that matter. I bought this power supply refurbished from Best Buy and when I started hearing the clicking noise I bought a brand new one of the same type to replace it but today I started hearing that same static clicking noise. I even completely removed the power supply from the computer and plugged it into the wall by itself with nothing else attached and it still made that noise. Now I can't find anything about this on the internet and all the problems that are posted on YouTube aren't the same noise that I'm hearing. Like I said this isn't affecting anything but I'm just worried that this could have a long term effect on my computer. And just to reiterate I've used two of the same types of power supplies (corsair GS600) and I still hear the sound from both so I don't know if there is a component in my computer causing the power supply to make such a noise. Also, all the components are brand new. I would appreciate some input on this problem. Is this a normal sound for the GS600 series or should I look into something else.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
That is not uncommon with switching PSU technology that is in use today. If it is so loud that you can hear it with the system closed up and over the other fan noise in your system we can try and replace it under warranty but it will not hurt the PSU or the system.

I didn't think that it was a big deal because I didn't see any electrical discharge when I looked inside the psu. If you're right then I don't think that it warrants being replaced if it's happening to both of the GS600 units. I can't hear the noise when I'm sitting at my chair; I can only really hear it when I'm close to the computer. Like I said, I was just worried that it could potentially hurt my pc in the long run but if it's a normal sound then I won't worry about it. I appreciate the input and I guess this means that I have an extra psu now! If you can think of anything else please let me but in the mean time thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
No it is not uncommon with the amount of power being used to have more noise form the PSU or devices that use a lot of power. I had an issue with another device in my hose that was causing my PSU to wine randomly, I tried changing MB's PSU's and Video cards it was not until I found that if the device in the other room was moved to another Circuit by accident that solved the noise problem. I assume it was near over load on the circuit that was causing the noise all is quiet now.

Archived