Corsair Community

TX650W: could it be faulty?

Keasis

Hello,

I've been using my computer for a while now without much problems, I did upgraded some components over time, but mostly it's been stable and working great. Yesterday, my computer failed to boot up after I put it on standby the previous evening. There was no POST, no sound or led indication of any problems on the motherboard. I tried restarting it a couple of times (power off/on, unplugging it, etc.).

At some point the computer did start up but then it stopped. I noticed that the harddisks were spinning up, but only to a certain extent. To be sure, I swapped out the RAM to a single stick and placed it in all the different slots. But it didn't work. Without RAM I could get the long beep (error with RAM/Missing RAM) at boot, but only once.

So I started to pull the computer down to the bare minimum, only the motherboard, CPU and HSF, (no videocard, harddisks or peripherals connected) to see if I could get any boot codes. I intended to replug everything one at a time, to find the faulty component, however the minimal set-up did not even boot up. On the motherboard however, the single green LED indicating stand-by power is lit.

So I suspect the PSU is failing one of the power-on tests which prevents the motherboard from initializing. Could anyone give me any insight if that could be correct? What next step should I take?

Greetings, Rob.

Run the paper clip[ test found in the stickys above. But it sounds like it could be a psu issue or a MB problem. If it comes down to it i would swap out the PSU before dismantling the entire system to send the board out , if that is an option for you.

If you have access to a multi meter you can check voltages on all rails at the 24 pin connector

No do not use a paperclip on the 24 pin connector while it is plugged in to the computer.

Hahaha :D

I had no intention of doing that. What I meant to say was, that using a paperclip to short the two wires and putting something on one of the connectors is more a way of simulating 'plugging' in the PSU. With the paperclip trick its possible to test the power-up of the PSU without needing any other components.

Seeing as the PSU has been plugged in on a regular system, it would seem redundant?

I should mention that I experienced some instability with the system before, but wrote it off on account of the videocard, which was due for an upgrade for a while now. Videocard has been replaced, but might be worth mentioning nonetheless.

It has been connected properly to a (previously) working system. So talking about putting a load on it, it has.

The PSU itself seems responsive enough, the fan starts when powered, and it provides current towards the HSF and anything connected on the PCI-e powerconnector.

But....

I managed to test the MB with another PSU. It seems the MB is non-responsive.

Is there any way the PSU could have caused the problems with the MB unnoticed? If not, I'd like to continue using it with a new MB.

Appreciate the offer!

However, now when most signs indicate it's the motherboard, there seems no reason for you to replace it. I'm configuring a new system, if I still experience any instability, I'll let you know

Again appreciate the help and service from the forum and corsair. Made me glad I chose this brand.

Archived