Corsair Community

Question on my set-up

Zorblack

Hi everybody. Here is my computer. 3.2 ghz p4 northwood, p4c800-e dulexe, 2 gb of Kingstong pc3200 ram, asus v9980 (nvidia fx5950). House is cooled to 23-24c. I currently run at 32-33c idle and 38-40 under 100% load. Although it is a huge jump from air cooling these temps seems a little warm to me. I heard 25c idle and aroound 35 under load. Am I mistaken? Now let me start off by saying that when I hooked up the Hydrocool I could not use the set-up like in the manual for securing the water block. I had to use the AMD set up with the single piece holding the the water block. The reason is that the two fastners were so hard to push down that I thought it was going to damage my CPU. Is that normally how hard it is? Should I reinstall it and try to push the block harder against the CPU? Does anybody have any hints on other ways to cool the CPU further without going to AC? I'm an overclocking fiend on a low budget and I had to save a lot for this system.

Zorblack, When Kool King arrives back at the office, he should be able to explain the attachment method for the P4. Sometimes the aluminum-frame with the square hole cut-out will hang on something with some of the MOBOs. Stev

zorblack have you got case fans(2x80mm) working to move air from front to the back of case, also have you burped the all of air out of HC system see this [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=28187[/url] ithinks same as Stev the pressure mounting or how much thermal paste was applyed all you need is a thin layer, with power off remove WB retension an lift WB up then with a flat credit card smooth the paste over cpu die, then replace WB checking of interfearance before putting retension back on like caps,resistors touching frame or socket

zorblack, Since the HC uses a micro-channel cold-block, we have tested, both in the lab and in the field, the proper allotment of thermal paste. The 0.35 grams total is required for the best performance. Spreading it too thin will unbalance the thermal transfer. Therefore, your temperatures will rise. You can read previous thread postings about people going too thin with the thermal paste and then returning to the 0.35 grams only to see their temps improve. Going too thin tends to be a trend in the OC'ing realm. That will work fine in several other OC'ing applications, however, not with the HC. We have shown that the 0.35 grams is the proper balance. Also note, the thermal paste for the HC, Shin-Etsu-MicroSI G-765 is NON-conductive. Therefore, no problems will arise with conductive hot-spots on the processor, MOBO or the capacitors like AS5 would have. Stev

Okay now I'm very confused. After talking to a few people and looking at some pictures on the web I redid my configuration. I decided I was a wuss and got the plate with the two hooks to finally attach. Here is the thing that confuses me. Old block temps 30 idle & 33 load. Old CPU temp as of Asus Probe 33 idle 38 load. New block temps 28 idle & 33 load. New CPU temp as of Asus Probe 36 idle 47 load. I need some help.... PS My motherboard temps in Asus probe dropped 2c.

Archived