Corsair Community

Force GT 120 GB (375R/235W 100mb)

SCi-Fi

This my 1st SSD and tbh I rather have a normal sata as the speeds dont match what the box says(555 read/515 write) even with SATA3.

Im getting 375/235, which if you go off what the box say it is supposed to do and what I get, its a false repesentation of what true speeds ppl will get. A normal SATA drive will give you 128read/112write and this GT SSD SATA3 is supposed to be miles faster!!

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, I've placed it on the sata3 6gb channel, enabled ahci. Not sure what else to do???

What speeds is everyone else getting????

694256022_benchmark2.jpg.30bc83ffb983687dffaa987f103c694d.jpg

benchmark.jpg.4eedbfe1e8c54b248dec12ff321094f3.jpg

Right Toasted, he has a X58 board with the Intel SATA II chipset, and the Marvell almost, sorta, kinda, "SATA III" (cough) interface running a 5Gb/s, not 6Gb/s.

Sci-Fi, we have ALL been burned by the Marvell 91xx SATA III chipset, which does not run at SATA III speeds. Nothing can be done about it.

Only the newest Intel and AMD chipset boards have real SATA III speed chipsets. You can't use your current CPU in them either, so you'd be looking at an expensive update.

Thx all for the advise, looks like ssd's can sod off in my eyes they aint worth the bothering abt then, Im starting to get stuttering and crashes on games so I've been conned then and its a fast boot disk for windows and thats it.

Your problems with that SSD may also be caused by the Marvell chipset, specifically its driver. Many users have found the Marvell driver to be less than stable. If you have Windows 7, you can change to its native AHCI driver, msahci, which can be done in Device Manager. That's how I use the Marvell chipsets on my boards, and IMO it works better that way.

You could also use the SATA II connections on your board. The benchmark results won't be as good, but in actual use the difference will be minimal if even noticeable. Before dismissing your SSD I suggest trying it on the SATA II ports. The sequential speed of a SSD is only one aspect of their performance that is superior to HDDs, and frankly the sequential speed is not a SSDs most important advantage over a HDD.

Archived